no spark

-

SirDan

Reaction score
73 dart swinger. Just painted the engine bay so I had everything out of there. key on I have power at all 4 posts of the ballast resistor, power at the positive side of the coil, power at 3 posts in the ECU plug.

The only thing I can think rite now is I messed up the connectors over by the distributor. there is 3 by the engine harness plug that are like the distributor plug. plugged the best reaching one into the distributor. I think there is 2 on the engine harness side and 1 at the bulkhead wire side.

any help is appreciated!! just want to fire this engine!!!

make damn sure your ECU is very well grounded to the body. the distributor plug will come out of the same harness wrap as the alternator/coil/ temp gauge wiring..at least my 73 does

At first I had spark from the coil only once every time i cranked. then i took an old crusty ecu and hooked it up and used some gator clips to ground it, had multiple sparks when cranking so I ran a ground the the orange box on the car and it seemed to give multiple sparks when cranking. then i hooked the fuel supply up and tried to start the car and had no spark. then I swapped the orange box out for the crusty box and still no spark.:banghead:

Is it possible I have enough juice to crank but not enough to run the computer???

You mentioned in your other thread? about having trouble with the ignition switch connector. You need to understand that "run" voltage is NOT present in "start." So the brown bypass wire may not be supplying coil voltage in "start."

Take your test lamp/ meter and clip to coil positive. Crank the engine and see what you have.

You mentioned in your other thread? about having trouble with the ignition switch connector. You need to understand that "run" voltage is NOT present in "start." So the brown bypass wire may not be supplying coil voltage in "start."

Take your test lamp/ meter and clip to coil positive. Crank the engine and see what you have.

still has power at he coil when cranking.

I am at wits end with this thing. I messed with the electronic ignition for most of the day then I found a points distributor laying around cleaned the points put it in, wired the one wire to the negitive and had key on to the positive. no spark still. Tried another coil, no spark. Tried running the positive straight off the battery, no spark. rotor spins when I am cranking the engine. points were about a matchbooks spacing apart. there is no reason i can think of it should not have spark. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Bad coil

What is the voltage at coil + during crank?

By the way, a points dist. has to have a good condenser. Can you see the arc at the points, or checked for a test lamp flashing on/ off at the points side of the coil?

I tried 3 different coils same results, can't be a bad coil.

Don't know a ton about points other then old timers talking about how they were easy and simple and talking about adjusting them fairly often.

OK you can wire up points in about 5 minutes, and eliminate the entire harness for testing.

Take a "suspected good" coil, run the + terminal to a known good coil resistor, and off to the battery. Don't leave it hooked up, though all that long for testing.

Hook the neg terminal of the coil to the distributor wire from the points. Make sure then are correctly gapped, and you have a good condenser mounted.

You can lay this stuff out on the bench and TEST it. If you do, don't forget to ground the dist. case to the battery terminal.

You should be able to turn the dist and "make sparks."

That was a nightmare. I found an old crusty electronic distributor around and swapped it out and get spark. ](*,)

got it started finally.

-
Back