No spark......

-

GSS

Reaction score
Car ran great, then no spark the next time I tried to start it.
Almost 12v to post #1 on ECM, post #2 has continuity to coil neg.
Correct resistance across pickup coil in dist.
Ballast is good.
Swapped multiple coils, ballast resistors, and ECM.
Coil wire is good.
Gap between pickup and reluctor is .008
Can't find my analog volt meter so I didn't look for a voltage change when spinning the distributor.
Gotta be something simple, what am I missing?

Wiggle the bulkhead connector or unplug it and plug it back in .

Wiggle the bulkhead connector or unplug it and plug it back in .
I did that twice. Wouldn't there be no or low voltage at the ECM if there was a poor connection there?

Car ran great, then no spark the next time I tried to start it.
Almost 12v to post #1 on ECM, post #2 has continuity to coil neg.
Correct resistance across pickup coil in dist.
Ballast is good.
Swapped multiple coils, ballast resistors, and ECM.
Coil wire is good.
Gap between pickup and reluctor is .008
Can't find my analog volt meter so I didn't look for a voltage change when spinning the distributor.
Gotta be something simple, what am I missing?
Mopar Ecu box ground issue maybe? The screw in the middle of the connector is there?

Mopar Ecu box ground issue maybe? The screw in the middle of the connector is there?
The screw is there and the box is extensively grounded. I think I need to try a different distributor.

No spark on 340

Ramblings. the Mopar distributor connector is horrible for corrosion.. Part / most of the problem is that there is no actual current/ power goes through there, just a tiny impulse. So the slightest looseness/ corrosion loses the connection

You should have "close to same as battery" voltage at coil + when cranking

With key on, coil + should be somewhere between 6--10V "or so." If it's "same as battery" the ECU is not conducting. That might be the box, connectors, wiring, or an open coil.

Put your meter in the distributor connector and crank the engine. The distributor pickup should generate about 1V AC

Remove cap, inspect cap/ rotor/ reluctor / pickup

Inspect cap for junk, water, carbon, etc. Inspect rotor for same, + spark "punch through."

Inspect reluctor for damage, rust, debri, or striking pickup.

Turn key to run. Take firewall side of distributor connector, and repeatedly ground the bare terminal of the connector. Each time you do so should produce a "snap" spark from the coil

-
Back