No Start Dart - 73

-

Cartboy67

Reaction score
Went out to go to work this morning and the Dart would turn over but not fire. It ran fine Monday when I drove it to work but drove the truck yesterday to drop it off for state inspection. I didn't have time to really mess with it this morning, jumped in the truck and headed to work. As mentioned, it would turn over fine and appeared to be getting gas as I could smell a slight hint of gas when I popped the hood. Seemed like it wasn't firing, what is the most common item to go after first...jumper the resistor block on the firewall or check the coil? Any help is appreciated, will look into it after work today.

This a Mopar ignition I assume? 4 or 5 pin ECU, do you know?

Yes I would try jumpering the resistor, and then jumper 12V right to the coil +. Get yourself a spark checker. All parts stores have various ones. You can "rig" it so you can watch it while twisting the key

It's important to realize the difference between two cranking scenarios

1...."Normal" using the key. The key when working right has a bypass contact (brown, IGN2) which sends 12V direct to coil + on the coil connection at the resistor

2....When cranking by jumpering the starter relay this does NOT happen. In this case coil supply voltage is in the "run" position, going through the resistor and is much lower

When doing testing, this can be a trap

Check the pigtail on the distributor while you are in there and make sure it is clean and making good contact. (crimp it a little to be sure)
I have had a couple of them loose contact when they were cold, or when they warmed up.
scenario 1. car started right up then quit after it came up to temp under the hood.
scenario 2. car wouldn't start, and then later on a hot day it fired right up.

I finally cut the darn thing out and direct wired to the distributor, and never a problem after that.

TrailBeast is onto something. I got home this evening and before doing anything to the car, I thought I would give it a try, started right up. This is good but concerns me about what is loose or bad or going bad. This has stranded by the side of the road written all over it.

TrailBeast is onto something. I got home this evening and before doing anything to the car, I thought I would give it a try, started right up. This is good but concerns me about what is loose or bad or going bad. This has stranded by the side of the road written all over it.

It took me a good week of checking and testing at different temps to find it, but like I said once I crimped that plug tighter I never had a problem with it again.
Not long after that I swapped to an HEI kit, so now there is no pigtail anyway, and the distributor wires run direct from it to the HEI module.

-
Back