No start. I know. Another thread but different issue.

-

MvJackson

72duster
Reaction score
72 duster electric ignition.

Proper voltage literally everywhere it should be.

I have bypassed Nuetral safety and therefore no reverse lights.

I was pulling out of my spot at home and the car died. Then no spark at all.
Thing is I now have the reverse lights on whenever key is in run.

Also key in run and I'll have continuity between the fuse link and alternator power wire. Is that supposed to be there? I have tried new ignition box and dizzy. Still no spark marks on cap or rotor. All wires seem fine.

yes, the alternator post and through the fusible link and amp gauge hot at all times. The neutral safety switch has 3 wires, 2 of them are for reverse lamps ( purple I think ). Twist those 2 together and you will have reverse lamps at switch on. the 3rd wire, brown or brown w/yellow tracer effects nothing more than starter relay. If this wire is grounded, the relay works, the starter works, even in drive.
This has zero effect on the ignition circuit though. Most likely cause of sudden death is ballast resistor.
I suppose second suspect guess would be ignition switch. All would seem fine checking around with switch in run yet no power to ignition while switch is in start position. In some cases the coil might throw a single spark as switch moves from 1 position to another.

Tried 3 boxes. One brand new and I know that both are good. Tested on other cars.

-
Back