No start when cranking

-

440cuda

Reaction score
A friend has a 69 Barracuda, has 340 with electronic ignition. the first crank it starts right up, after you drive it when you turn it off it will just crank till you let off key then it fires. Has anybody got a fix for the problem. Thanks Mike

Is this 2 or 4 terminal ballast resistor? If this is a 2 pin resistor, might be the start circuit, either ign switch, connector, or bulkhead connector

There is a separate contact in the ign switch which feeds power during start out through the bulkhead to the + side of the coil on the brown wire. This is known as "IGN2" or the "bypass" circuit

Is this 2 or 4 terminal ballast resistor? If this is a 2 pin resistor, might be the start circuit, either ign switch, connector, or bulkhead connector

There is a separate contact in the ign switch which feeds power during start out through the bulkhead to the + side of the coil on the brown wire. This is known as "IGN2" or the "bypass" circuit

Only does it after warmed up though.

Sounds like you have a bad ground.Need a good ground from battery to body and ground to motor,would not hurt to add a ground strap motor to body.

Wire wound resistors (Ballast resistors are wire wound resistors) can open after it warms up (due to current flowing through it) and after it cools it can make contact again (internally) and pass the voltage through to the coil.

Wire wound resistors (Ballast resistors are wire wound resistors) can open after it warms up (due to current flowing through it) and after it cools it can make contact again (internally) and pass the voltage through to the coil.

Exactly, and it would be really easy to diagnose.
When it won't start just jumper the coil to the battery and I bet it starts.
(easier to just replace the resistor though probably)

I have this same issue, but it happens all the time. I will check the ground and resistor. funny thing is, my electric radiator fan went out and keeps blowing fuses too. not sure if they are related. Am gonna change to mechanical. BUT, I really need the car to start!
It will fire after I release the Key.

-
Back