no tail lights

-

phaelax

Reaction score
For starters, I found out from the cops the other night #-o (gave me a warning)

Bulbs are fine, as my blinkers and brake lights work. But no tail lights. I'm not sure what to look at from here.

Simple. You have dash (instrument) lamps? If so, that means the tail section of the headlight switch is getting power. If so there is one wire from the headlight switch ---through the kick panel connector---to the rear harness to the rear

You are working on a 73? Go download a shop manual, free, here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

and more here, and also some simplified diagrams

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

If you do NOT have instrument lamps, first thing to do is get into the fuse panel and check the tail fuse.

Dash lamps? Umm, not exactly. I replaced the headlamp switch a few weeks ago. The old switch used to turn on the dash lights sometimes if I fiddled with it, but eventually it went out completely. The new one gives me nothing.

Thanks for pointing me in the right (and obvious) direction. I read the #8 fuse controls the horn and cluster as well as the tail lights. Well, it just so happens my horn stopped working the other day. Sounds like this is the culprit!

Problem, I'm only seeing 7 fuses and they look fine to me.

All the fuses look good, aside from the last two which say should be 3a but actually had 7.5a in place.

http://imgur.com/IYd1GRg

Could a faulty headlamp switch cause this?

All the fuses look good, aside from the last two which say should be 3a but actually had 7.5a in place.

http://imgur.com/IYd1GRg

Could a faulty headlamp switch cause this?

Fuses look good? Put a test light on both sides and touch the fuse as well as the spring clips. Check for power in, power out.
You also should test the headlamp switch for power out on the circuit wire in question.

Find the color wire on the schematic from mymopar.com

^^Yup. You cannot just go by "looks"^^ The tail fuse should be hot whether key is on or not to test get your test lamp or a meter. Turn on the headlights. This is to put a load on the circuit. Make sure the test lamp is grounded and probe BOTH ends of the tail fuse. Both should be hot

Several things can go wrong there.........

Clips can be loose from heat / corrosion damage.

Clips can be rusted / corroded, losing contact

Fuses sometimes blow in the end caps where you cannot see. This is usually also caused by a poor connection at the clips, because that generates HEAT

Last, might be poor connections between clips and buss/ wire connections in the back of the fuse panel.

If that looks good get into the left kick panel. There's a connector in there where the rear harness takes off to the rear of the car. As above ^^ get into the diagram, find the wire color, and probe for power. There is only one wire supplying tail lamps and if equipped on newer cars, side marker and license plate lamp

THAT ALSO can be a clue. If you have markers and they work, or the license plate lamp works, but not tail lights, RIGHT AWAY you should realize that power is "making it" to the rear, and the trouble HAS to be in the sockets or bulbs.

You do realize? I hope? that tail /stop bulbs are actually two bulbs in one. IE the tail section can burn out but the stop / turn filament can still work.

I put a new fuse in just to see. Whenever I do anything with fuse 7 then turn the power back on, the door buzzer starts working. Until I press the horn to stop the buzz, then it doesn't work until I reseat the fuse again. Seemed odd.

you do realize? I hope? that tail /stop bulbs are actually two bulbs in one

Yes, but to have both go out simultaneously along with my horn and dash lights?

After poking around with my voltmeter trying to get a good contact at different fuses, the majority of things have worked out. It seems like there was just a bad connection in the fuses somewhere. I now have tail lights, a horn, and....well dash lights I'm not certain about. They were always so dim, it's very hard to see during the day if they're working. But I can see the indicator turn on when I hit the high beams.

-
Back