No Third Gear

-

Nelson7604

Reaction score
I have a 904 behind a 318.
All I did to the transmission is replace filter and fluid before I put it in my car hoping it was OK.
I have no third gear and reverse is very rough.
Fluid is topped off and clean.
It shifts fine into second, but it feels like it goes into neutral in third gear.
It feels like third wants to engage at low rpm, but as soon as it gets over about 1500rpm(no tach) it blows past the gear.
I adjusted the band to 2 out turns and the problem persists.
Is this a simple fix or does something need to be replaced?
I know nothing about transmissions yet(I saw one being rebuilt a few years ago, but that is the extent of my knowledge. With that said, any info will help.

Thanks.

Classic symptoms of worn out front clutch. Which is usually the first thing to go away in a TF.

As for a "simple" fix well, that depends on your idea of simple. Remove transmission, take apart, put back together with new clutches and seals, reinstall transmission. Simple.

Rebuilding a 904 is within the capability of most hobby type mechanics at home. Nothing really cosmic and can be done with basic hand tools + a couple big C-clamps.

So are you saying it worked fine before the fluid change? If yes, I would do 2 things;
- 1) go back and check the fluid you put in there and make sure its the right fluid.Dextron II is the right stuff. Some manufacturers are selling ATF that supposedly works in many applications.While it may in most, perhaps your lipseals are iffy and the clutchs need the old Type II to survive.and
- 2) I would seriously consider dropping the pan and making sure the filter is on right and the gasket between the filter and VB is on right.
C-130 is probably correct about the seals. However, when something like this pops up like a lightswitch, I like to back up the bus and double check the work.
If you put some super slippery (Ford compatible) fluid in there or the fluid is aerated(very low fluid level) it could present like this.
Are you aware that to check the fluid level in an old Mopar tranny, the tranny needs to be in Neutral, and on level ground?
C130 is also correct in that the 904 is a pretty easy to rebuild unit. The FSM is very helpful.All the best...

-
Back