Noise in 340...help

-
Dumb question here.

To adjust the rockers are the a torque to spec or do they adjust like a (dare I say it) Chevy lifter (tighten to quiet and add a 1/4 turn)? They are hydraulic lifters.
Turn in about 3/4 turn past zero lash, to get you started. I have read from 3/4 to full turn, but then you are always making a subjective call on hydraulics, what zero lash really is.
I prefer solids myself, but have a hydraulic in my Barracuda for the time being. Love the sound of the Thumpr, Comp Cam.

My 318 used to knock for a minute or two after it sat for a long time. Since then I have just disconnected the coil and, watching my oil pressure gauge, crank the engine until the oil pressure builds up. priming the engine if you will. Connect the coil wire and fire away. It is also easy enough to pull the valve covers and check for a loose push rod. It is a piece of mind. Do you have adjustable rockers on that 340? If not, and the pushrods are not loose, you may have a lazy lifter that is taking its time pumping up. You would want to replace that. You would know if it was something more serious. A knocking connecting rod is a horrid sound. Good luck in your diagnose. You must preserve that nice 340. Wish i was close. I would come over and help you.

And exhaust leak will sound like a knock and will tend to go away once warmed up.

My 318 used to knock for a minute or two after it sat for a long time. Since then I have just disconnected the coil and, watching my oil pressure gauge, crank the engine until the oil pressure builds up. priming the engine if you will. Connect the coil wire and fire away. It is also easy enough to pull the valve covers and check for a loose push rod. It is a piece of mind. Do you have adjustable rockers on that 340? If not, and the pushrods are not loose, you may have a lazy lifter that is taking its time pumping up. You would want to replace that. You would know if it was something more serious. A knocking connecting rod is a horrid sound. Good luck in your diagnose. You must preserve that nice 340. Wish i was close. I would come over and help you.

Thanks for the kind offer SoulSurvivor. No adjustable rockers. I'm thinking MAYBE letting the motor rise to operating temp to see if the noise goes away as suggested by another member. I will probably have a local mechanic stop by to give his opinion also. To loosely quote the Bible, "there is safety in a multitude of councellors.":read2:

GOOD NEWS!!
Some of you were aware of my dilemna concerning the noise in my 340. I took the advice of several guys and drained the oil and replaced the filter with a high quality one. Also I added one quart of Marvel Mystery oil. I couldn't wait to get home tonight to start it...(I got home too late last night and I didn't want to wake up the neighbors) Well it started and immediately the noise was quieter. As it got up to temp it completely disappeared! Yahoo! Thanks to all of you for your help.
Now...you have to know that Ratman is gonna rest easy tonight. Thanks Al. I know it was a stressful couple days for you too.:cheers::wav::cheers:

I'm gonna post pics soon of the new stance!

Great News!!!!!!

I'm not sure who is happier Curt or me
:-D :-D :-D

I wish you many TROUBLE FREE miles!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD NEWS!!
Some of you were aware of my dilemna concerning the noise in my 340. I took the advice of several guys and drained the oil and replaced the filter with a high quality one. Also I added one quart of Marvel Mystery oil. I couldn't wait to get home tonight to start it...(I got home too late last night and I didn't want to wake up the neighbors) Well it started and immediately the noise was quieter. As it got up to temp it completely disappeared! Yahoo! Thanks to all of you for your help.
Now...you have to know that Ratman is gonna rest easy tonight. Thanks Al. I know it was a stressful couple days for you too.:cheers::wav::cheers:

I'm gonna post pics soon of the new stance!

YEAH!!:cheers:

Glad to hear it was nothing serious.

Enjoy your ride!

Another post! I thought I would mention that this was a good lesson learned. Maybe it will help someone else in the future. cmills :-D

Well handled, Thank You!
No problem, as long as it was said in jest. Unfortunately what we think in our head doesn't always come across in our written word.

Lets all work together and try to help him out, that's the reason this site is as good as it is. There are a lot of helpful people here with a wealth of experience and knowledge. Let's get this resolved for him.

P.S. Sorry about the 'Jerk" comment!

-
Back