noisey roller lifters?

-

68gtx

Reaction score
if a roller would be going bad on a stock 91 , 360 roller lifter what would it sound like?

Ticking, clacking, or worse. Engine may misfire. Even though it's a roller lifter it's still a hydraulic lifter as well & when they fail they do the same thing.

wondering if the roller bearings are failing if they would sound like a bad p/s pump kinda whinning noise?

Roller bearings? No bearings in a lifter. Is that what it sounds like a "whining noise"? Are you sure it's not an idler pulley for the belts making noise or something like that? Engine internal parts usually don't make a whining sound.

I just replaced an idler on my daily driver after being certain I would be buying a power steering pump or rack. LOL
The old stethoscope cleared up any confusion , but man that thing was loud when I touched it.
But it was a whining that was variable with rpm.

removed belts and noise is still there, sounds like front of motor,timing cover area, just figured being a roller lifter there would be bearings around the roller, wondering if the roller seized or something if it could make noise

ran this thing today and listened with a stethoscope, the noise is loudest behind the balancer,a the timming cover area, if you listen at the top behind the water pump and at the bottom behind the balancer, it is defintaley loudest behind the balanver, what could be making noise there?

noise is defintaley a rubber noise, sounds like a loose belt and is 100% coming from the balancer or just behind it, balancer is not hitting or rubbing on anything, could it be the front seal? noise is gone when engine is cold , but after about 2 min if warmup it starts and gets louder as engine warms up, absolutely a rubber /belt type noise.. is it possible to run the engine with the balancer removed????to see if the noise goes away? could it be possible that if the engine has too much blowby and that it is causing this issue?i have a pcv on one valve cover but if I remove the oil fill cap on the other cover you do notice a little bit of preasure.. maybe I could install a pcv or breather on the other cover, any ideas. will pull it apart this weekend , but just don't wanna pull it apart and find nothing

Yup you can run it without the balancer. Just don't rev it up a lot. Sounds like the seal squeakin to me.

Probably timing chain tensioner. I have changed several of them. Loud ticking (slapping) from front of engine. Most magnums I have changed them on had 100k or better and the chain was streched rite out as well. Id almost bet $ that is your noise.

Probably timing chain tensioner. I have changed several of them. Loud ticking (slapping) from front of engine. Most magnums I have changed them on had 100k or better and the chain was streched rite out as well. Id almost bet $ that is your noise.

this is a 91 block and doesn't have the timming chain tensioner, sounds is exactly like a losse belt squeal, no ticks or any other noises, I tried recording the noise with my I phone but it really picks up los of background , maybe ill try again and post it

Yup you can run it without the balancer. Just don't rev it up a lot. Sounds like the seal squeakin to me.

bingo!!!!!!!! exactly what it was.. outer seal lip had somehow folded over and was creating little rubber shavings like the inside of a tire after you run it flat.. popped in a new seal, noise is gone, well now my p/s pump whines when it is hot but that's an easy fix... thanks for everyones input!

-
Back