Non-lockup 46RH?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I'm having a brain fart. What years were 46RH transmissions available in non-lock up versions? Was it like 91-93, or something?

At least thru the end of the D/W series trucks (93) and I think longer on some Cummins trucks.

At least thru the end of the D/W series trucks (93) and I think longer on some Cummins trucks.
Thank you! I'm on the lookout for one for my '68 Dart. I understand I can use the converter out of my existing 727 in a non-lockup 46rh/A518, correct?

This is news to me. I'd be surprised to know that any overdrive transmission was built without a lockup converter.
Some 904s and 727s were lockup. I had a late 70s 904 with hydraulic lockup that would sometimes stick when I was slowing down. It would shudder unless I downshifted.
I know that the early overdrives used vacuum switches for the lockup and/or the OD functions.

No vacuum switches for these functions on any Mopar transmissions I have ever seen besides aftermarket / retrofit (patc, torque flite patty etc)

And my son has had 2 non lockup 46RH tranny's, his were both 4wd and 3/4 ton. A 90 w250 with a 360 gas and a 92 Cummins. I have seen others but yeah they are rare

I’ve got 2 A500’s and sold a third and all are both lockup and with OD

I do not know all the years, but they absolutely had non-lockup 518 transmissions. I had a 318 four wheel drive Ramcharger with one in it. It was a 1990 model year if recall correctly. Not guessing. I rebuilt that transmission and know for a fact it was non-lockup.

Hey/// they still sold wranglers and B vans with a 3 speed non OD (904/998/999) until at least 2000.
With a B van you had to get it with a 3.9, with a wrangler, anything with an auto trans was a non OD those years. I think with the 6, the non OD was only with 3.07 gears, with the 4 banger any with an auto was a 3 speed.
So you could get a vehicle either w/o OD or w/o L/U those years.

Not quite. I know that at least as far as A500s go they did make L/U versions in 90 and 91 at least....
My 90 Dakota had one (3.9) and the 91 I parted out last summer (LA318 TBI) had aL/U... I still have that trans here ...

Not quite. I know that at least as far as A500s go they did make L/U versions in 90 and 91 at least....
My 90 Dakota had one (3.9) and the 91 I parted out last summer (LA318 TBI) had aL/U... I still have that trans here ...
Pretty sure he meant A518 since that's what this thread is about. Thank for the info though.

I think I have a couple prospects on a non-lockup 518/46RH.

The A518 out of my 91 B300 van is a non-lockup 2-pin unit. It is now in my buddy's 70 Cuda vert behind a 340. I'm also always looking for some more of those. I have a couple 3-pins units.

The A518 out of my 91 B300 van is a non-lockup 2-pin unit. It is now in my buddy's 70 Cuda vert behind a 340. I'm also always looking for some more of those. I have a couple 3-pins units.
Why do you so many of them? How does your buddy like his?

I found a 2-pin non-lockup 46RH, but the salvage yard wants $600 for it. Is that what these things are worth?? I'll be rebuilding it of course, but I'm having trouble finding one for (what I think is) a reasonable price.

The ole “I know what I got….” syndrome. For that kind of money it had best be CLEAN inside, no failed hard parts.

The ole “I know what I got….” syndrome. For that kind of money it had best be CLEAN inside, no failed hard parts.
You're probably right. Maybe it's regional thing too. Hell, the transmissions at pick-n-pull around here are pushing $300 out the door these days.

-
Back