Non mopar related question

-

edbux

Reaction score
My daughter bought a 1993 Ford Taurus. We had looked at it and I suggest she not buy it. While at work, the lady called and said she had a couple of interested parties but because my daughter was young...long story short, her and her mom went and bought it.

Day 3 of ownership, the water pump started leaking thru the weep hole. Easy enough replacement in spite of tight quarters. 2 days later after warming up, it sounds like the engine is a diesel when idling. As soon as you give it gas, it goes away. No dummy lights are turning on. Check and verified the sensors I could.

Anyone have an idea what this could be? I'm hoping it isn't the oil pump. Oil is full and was changed before the water pump went south. I hate to see here spend a lot of money on this things, she is starting at Boise State this August. I'm proud of myself because I have resisted uttering "I told you not to get it". It's also going to need valve cover gaskets and a power steering pump, which is going to be difficult because you have to yank the pulley off to get to the bolts and it looks like it requires a special puller due to clearance issues. I think I can rig something up for that.

Thanks for any assistance!!!!

What engine?

And, yes, you'll need a power steering pulley puller for the pump. You won't have to rig one up, they are cheap enough through the parts stores, usually under $20.

And when you say dieseling, as in upper end knock as in timing issues or an oil knock since that's what seems to be concerning you?

What engine?

And when you say dieseling, as in upper end knock as in timing issues or an oil knock since that's what seems to be concerning you?

It's the 3.0 V6. Doesn't sound like pinging, more a knocking sound.

Ouch. It's got a knock. Pick your poison. The idiot light won't come on until it drops to less than 5-6 pounds of pressure.

But there is some consolation. The early 3.0s had pin issues that weren't uncommon. Loose fit in the pistons and you got a slap.

How loud is it? Sound like something about to come loose or does it sound like multiple ticks going on at the same time?

When you got the water pump on you didn't leave something loose did you? Something which may be rubbing against something else? Just throwing out ideas, not to criticize, but to try something which may be an easy, worry free fix.

The water pump...well....I had to put it on twice. The first time, one hole on the pump was a 1/4 off from the original pump. Took it back and the guy at Shucks was bewildered as I was. Second one went on fine. I always draw a diagram and number everything that comes off but that doesn't mean I didn't do something wrong. What perplexes me is the fact that it only does idling after it is warmed up and it goes quiet as soon as gas is applied.

It sounds like it is going to come apart. It has an OBD 1, so I can't take it to get the codes read, unless I am wrong about that. Oil on the dipstick is smooth as in there doesn't seem to be any grit or anything else floating around in the engine and there is no water in the oil or oil in the water. I wonder if there could be air in the coolant system; even if there was I couldn't imagine it making that kind of noise. It ran fine for a couple of days after the wp change...hell, I don't know. I guess it's going to the mechanic for a look-see. I asked my daughter, who will be out of town for the week, how much she wanted to spend. Her reply was can it be fixed for under $200...hehehe...she is about to get a lesson on automobiles and repairs. This mechanic is honest and thorough, he has done a few things for me in the past. Hell, his is the cleanest shop I've ever seen....probably cleaner and more organized than most houses.

The water pump...well....I had to put it on twice. The first time, one hole on the pump was a 1/4 off from the original pump. Took it back and the guy at Shucks was bewildered as I was. Second one went on fine. I always draw a diagram and number everything that comes off but that doesn't mean I didn't do something wrong. What perplexes me is the fact that it only does idling after it is warmed up and it goes quiet as soon as gas is applied.

It sounds like it is going to come apart. It has an OBD 1, so I can't take it to get the codes read, unless I am wrong about that. Oil on the dipstick is smooth as in there doesn't seem to be any grit or anything else floating around in the engine and there is no water in the oil or oil in the water. I wonder if there could be air in the coolant system; even if there was I couldn't imagine it making that kind of noise. It ran fine for a couple of days after the wp change...hell, I don't know. I guess it's going to the mechanic for a look-see. I asked my daughter, who will be out of town for the week, how much she wanted to spend. Her reply was can it be fixed for under $200...hehehe...she is about to get a lesson on automobiles and repairs. This mechanic is honest and thorough, he has done a few things for me in the past. Hell, his is the cleanest shop I've ever seen....probably cleaner and more organized than most houses.

OBD I or not, if the check engine light is off, there's no codes to read.

What's the color of the oil? Clean? Look like chocolate milk?

My wife's old '93 Sable tore a bearing out the #6 rod. No metal shavings in the oil, no discoloration. But that's a different creature in that it didn't matter what temp the car was at. And it sounded more like it was in the upper end, believe it or not. Sounded more like a rocker arm came off more than rod bearing missing.

I hated that car. I almost dance a jig when I hit a deer at 65mph with it. Two engines, three transmissions, fixing it after another car hit it, once both air bags went off I was happy! But I digress.

You have it right taking it to someone you trust. Without being witness to what the car is doing, as in listening to it myself and going from there, I really can't help you. Diagnostics over the computer in this case is almost impossible.

When I called the mechanic....he said after hearing what car it was...."oh, you have one of those that actually runs" and he chuckled.

When I called the mechanic....he said after hearing what car it was...."oh, you have one of those that actually runs" and he chuckled.

That must make you feel good about the selection. Hold in those "I told you so's" for a little while longer...:-D

Simple enough problem. The temp sensor wasn't working correctly, the computer told the "some of the fuel injectors to shut off" to try and keep the engine cool. He replace the sending unit and all is well. Did a radiator flush, changed the sender and top hose,
$99. I would have never thought of that, maybe thats why I am a nurse and not a professional mechanic....

I would have never thought of that, maybe thats why I am a nurse and not a professional mechanic....

Ha ha ha ha, I say the exact same thing, except I'm a mechanic. Wifes a RN.

So, were running good?

Sorry, but I must throw in a couple of thoughts, jabs, laughs, etc... only because you came out good.

My brother-in-law, an instructor at UTI and an active consumer of "Hater-aide" when it comes to Ford would have diagnosed the problem as he does for my wife's 2001 Windstar SE Sport; When I have called to ask his advice, before I describe the problem, he will say, "Wait, I think I know what is wrong... Look on the van somewhere and see if you can find the problem. The factory highlighted the problem in blue..."

After having lost reverse in the factory replacement tranny on my wife's van; which by the way was installed at 54,000 miles, I was told by the repair shop that Ford mandates changing fluid/filter in trannies every 36,000 miles. I am still mad at the dealership that sold me the van. It was a one owner van, 2 years old with 42,000 miles. They never ever suggested maintaining tranny fluid. Call me stupid, but I was taught (100 years ago) not to mess with tranny fluid if it looked and smelled okay.

Well, the best of luck to your daughter in her travels and in school.

Blessings,
Shakota

PS -- The Windstar got a brand spanking new Ford reman 3.9L engine and Ford reman transmission this past Christmas. $6500 still beats $21,000 for the Ford my wife wanted to get to replace the Windstar. I tried my best to get her a Durango, but no, she loves the Ford.

, "Wait, I think I know what is wrong... Look on the van somewhere and see if you can find the problem. The factory highlighted the problem in blue..."

When I worked at Ford and the boss would come around to see if I'd figured out the problem I'd tell him yeah, I found it. I'd point at the Ford emblem on the grille and tell him it starts with that and goes all the way back. :-D

Got one here that's being fun to play with, too. Young lady had it towed to us. It stalled and wouldn't re-fire. '99 Taurus with the S-code 3.0L. She said it's been a hard start for a while, but then stalled out on her after she went back into the house and that was the end of it. (Why do people wait? She should have gotten it to me to deal with the hard start to begin with.)

Plugged the scanner in and laughed. Not a thing I can do for her. But I can take a look as to why it was a hard start and a stall. Checked spark. Weak. Plugs were OE. .095 gap. Failed the leak down test on the fuel big time. The fuel pored out of the OE filter through the inlet had the color of coffee. Underlying issues should be taken care. But when the car stalled the PATS module kicked. The car thinks it's being stolen. Off to the dealership it goes next week.

Simple enough problem. The temp sensor wasn't working correctly, the computer told the "some of the fuel injectors to shut off" to try and keep the engine cool. He replace the sending unit and all is well. Did a radiator flush, changed the sender and top hose,
$99. I would have never thought of that, maybe thats why I am a nurse and not a professional mechanic....

Good deal!

I agree ramenth, years ago I dated a true country woman with an 80's 4cyl Ranger...I swear I was working on that POS every weekend for most of the 3.5yrs we dated, it was so bad that she turned around and traded it in for a Honda Accord later down the road.

I swear if reporting a faded grey Ranger with a Rebel flag spray painted on the roof would have been believable I would have ran it off a cliff. The door locks never worked so she just left the keys in it. Still no one would take it, ridiculous...

-
Back