non-venting clothes dryers

-

ralleyred

Reaction score
does anyone out there have knowledge or experience with non-venting clothes dryers?

Are you talking about a condensing clothes dryer? My wife's friend bought a house that had one and it heated the whole house quite a bit. She hated to dry clothes with it except in the winter months. She also had the water drain hose plug up. That's when she bought a new dryer and had a vent hole put in the wall.

Years ago, LOL I thought I wanted to build a condensing dryer

If it is not condensing, it is simply like any other dryer......a great big heating element, boiling water out of the clothes and into the house. Depending on where you live, this could be REAL bad

You do NOT want to have a gas / LP dryer with no vent, and frankly, many people take venting on gas dryers way too casually.

An alternative is to sit the thing "on the porch." LOL

2c7843b662842383b51303685fbb0213.jpg

Had no idea there is such a thing. We're does the moisture go up the side of the wall or ceiling?

Had no idea there is such a thing. We're does the moisture go up the side of the wall or ceiling?

If it's condensing, it drains off just like a small "window" air conditioner.

If it's a cheap "heater" the moisture simply goes into the room, and yes, "up the wall and ceiling"

Here's the idea of a dehumidifier, which is what a condensing dryer is. (In a previous life I helped construct some dehumidifier lumber kilns. We are talking some 60--120HP compressors)

Essentially, a dehumidifier is a window AC unit. Wet warm air enters the evap and the system causes cooling which causes moisture to condense and drain away. "That heat" which has been absorbed into the AC system is now REJECTED by the condenser. In the case of a window unit you do not WANT that heat, so it's ejected outdoors. In the case of a dehumidifier, you don't want to cool the room, so the condenser simply re-ejects the heat back into the room.

Essentially, "eventually" the room must heat up somewhat, because the unit is not 100% efficient. The heat radiated by the motor, by friction, and by "heat of compression" is conveyed into the room. The heat contained in the water in the clothes is also a factor.

from what I read there is like 2 types...condensing with a container that catches the moisture, and one with a heat pump and a drain to where the washer drains. I would like to go to stackable and not have the vent because it would have to go all the way to the floor and then up to the roof (through the wall where it is now). So the vent-less would make the room hotter you think? Thanks all

Evidently there is a type called "electric condensing" which evidently uses heat to dry, and a water condenser to cool it back down and condense moisture. These cannot possibly be very efficient

The type I was familiar with is so called "heat pump" or "dehumidifier" type. You would have to find a specific model example, and the spec from the manufacturer should be able to tell the heat output

You will NOT find that in advertising on such sites as home depot, wally world, or lowes.

Personally I would "work harder" towards installing a vent. Doesn't "your place" have a dedicated laundry area? What about something a little "stop gap" such as running the vent through a window? Is there a closet nearby you could hide the piping in?

-
Back