(Noob alert) Leaf spring question

-

BigBlockMopar28

Reaction score
Gonna bolt the rear end up under the car tomorrow and i realized something. I have absolutely no idea where the perches on the housing bolt to the actual springs,(with the plates and u bolts of course). I never paid attention when i took these springs off of the 7 1/4, but i remember that they weren't attached in the middle of the spring. Is there some kind of marking or measurement to determine where the springs need to attach to the housing? Mine have been painted over. /6 springs on a 8 3/4 housing if it matters. Just a temporary setup until i get my S/S's. Thanks in advance

45 ft. lbs. torque on the u bolt nuts.

Yes, on the u-bolts only...

but beware when torquing the rear hanger bolts (the ones on the back that have the bushing in them), some aftermarket ones will not handle factory spec torque, just snug and then a little more....

The axle goes on top of the leaf spring, located by the pins, then the shock plates go under the leaf spring with the shock studs facing rearward, and the u- bolts go above the axle to through the shock plates - start all four nuts, then tighten evenly before torquing...

Put the front bracket on the car first, then swing the rear of the spring up to the back... You may want to do a test before to see how much you have to position the rear bracket so you can get the bolts in... Tilt the plate rearward, then make the plate verticle, using a pry bar for leverage....

exactly right, I just replaced my springs yesterday this way

Hopefully you bought new U-bolts and shock plates. The shock plates and U-bolts from the 7.25 won't fit the 8 3/4 with the larger 3" diameter axle tubes.

Hopefully you bought new U-bolts and shock plates. The shock plates and U-bolts from the 7.25 won't fit the 8 3/4 with the larger 3" diameter axle tubes.
Im aware lol. I have 8 3/4 u bolts and shock plates. Got them on a few minutes ago

-
Back