noobie.

-

omahamoparguy

Reaction score
Thought I might check out this forum guys. I am in the process of acquiring a '67 Barracuda formula S. It needs a few things, the one major thing I am concerned about is that it needs a back window. Also needs quarters and trunk floor. Of course it has no motor, trans or rear either. It is the fast back version. One positive thing, the interior is very nice. got a console for automatic I believe. I am assuming the original motor would be the 273. I think the guy will sell it for about 1200. Does this sound reasonable? BTW, I work with the guy so I know he is not b B.S.ing. Other than the quarters and the trunkfloor the body looks decent.
I already have a rear (8 1/4 with 3.55 posi, good axles) and a 360. need a trans. Also the windshield is cracked.

Welcome.

On the car…. For $1200 and needing all that work it better have a fender tag and vin that show it's a Formula S or I would pass and find a better project.

That is just my personal opinion.

What sould I look for on the build tag or the vin?
I know i saw the formula s emblems on the side. But I was not there long enough to inspect everthing, car is in a storage barn. What else makes it easy to ID the formula s.

One of the other guys will post the vin code and fender tag option code for a 67 Formula S.

The fender tag will be attached to the inner driver side fender by the battery.

Another big thing is trim. Things like grills, and trunk trim can be very hard and expensive to find.

The window trim on a 67 is funky at best and most go with 68-69 window trim…. Again this can take years to find.

thanks guys.
The car is painted red but it originally was a light yellow. (sunfire??)
I used to know the color names. It's got a black interior.

yeah I know. There were a lot of boxes with trim and such but I need to go back and look to see what's in them. It was getting dark when I went out to see this car. I told the guy I will have to think about it and come back in the daylight. He was ok with that

THere were some boxes to go with the car. Will have to go back in the day time to get a better idea of whats there. From what I saw of the grille. it looked like it was in very good condition.

First,welcome to FABO. A 67 Cuda? Hmmmmmm I like it already.You gota throw up some pics if ya get it. Funny ,my car is red but was originally RR-1 yellow.Post the vin before ya buy and get the story on the car.Good luck.

I believe 67 formula S is a 383 motor

Not all Formula S cars were 383s, in fact there were not that many made.
The vin will start with BH29_7
BH29 is Barracuda fastback, the next letter will be the engine code. An H would be a 383. The 7 is for 1967.
Take a pic of the fender tag and post it, you want to see a 7 under the F for Formula S.

omaha, welcome to the best Mopar site on the net! As you're already discovering, you'll get lots of on-point help here and become part of The Family in no time. I don't think there's a car question ever invented someone here can't answer. Post some pics if you decide to buy the car and keep us updated on your progress. :-D

Welcome to FABO!8)

75-86.jpg

75-87.jpg

thanks for the welcome guys. I am not working too much right now cause it is too cold for concrete work. Guy at work says I can come see the car anytime. It's about 25 miles away. I might drag the rear out there and bolt it up [with wheels of course]. Maybe i could fab some type of tow bar and just drag it home. Will try to download some pics if . Any type of photo "sizer" that someone could recommend?
THe guy that sold him the car was suprised that the rearend was missing (i'll bet it was an 8 3/4) It was kinda funny cause my bud at work said that the U bolts and nuts were lying on the ground under the car. The guy was a packrat and had alot of cars on his prop. Luckily my bud got this car before the guy had to move. (most of the other cars he had went to the crusher; his kids were not interested).
The only number that I have come up is the V.I.N. BH29 D 7 2234891
Not sure if you can tell if it's a formula s by this.
It does have the hood with the grills on it and it does have the emblem and it does have the "flip top" gas filler on the side of the quarter.

Unless the vin decoder I used is wrong, that car is not a Formula S.

It is a V8 car but the D in the vin means….

D = 273 180HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL

Wrong code for a Formula S engine.

ok, I guess there is some thing sneaky going on then. I will have to check it out further. Maybe someone found an old formula "S" that was too far gone and swapped stuff over. (maybe along time ago). Will be seeing the fender tag soon. So the "D" is the 273 2 barrel engine and I assume all the formula s cars were 4 bbl.

1968FormulaS340 is correct. E for the engine would indicate 273-4bbl. And yes, they were all 4bbl.

Grant

well, now what do I do? THe car is not a formula S but it is in good condition, albeit missing some parts. Got to admit the 67 fastback b-cuda is a sweet looking body style. Maybe I can get it for less money. {someone went through alot of trouble trying to make it look like a formule s, it has alot of the formula s stuff on it} Guess it could be a good candidate for a street/strip car. Oh well.....

Going by your first post it sounds like it is all rusted out and need 1/4s and glass. I would look for another car or buy it for parts.

What do you mean by a lot of work to make it look like a Formula S? Drilling some holes and sticking on some emblems is not a lot of work.

The visual difference between a Formula S and a non Formula S is very small.

Not sure how rusted out it sounds. 1/4s and trunk are common problem. If the car is complete, and has all of the hard to find expensive trim, has an interior that is good those are pluses. If its solid underneath, has good fenders, and not missing the expensive pieces than 1200 is a deal. Back glass is cheap.

Grant

-
Back