Nor-Cal '73 Swinger

-
cool deal jeff, got your heads back from mike (the ford guy) cant wait to check them out.we are gonna have to match up the intake i imagine.no sense in the heads opened up and not the intake manifold.i made a jet plate for your secondary side with removable jets.now you don't need to buy the longer fuel tube,and we can dial that puppy in way better and cheaper!working on a dist too....

Right on man, much appreciated. I may have lost 3rd gear and i'd need to get your opinion if so. Thinking if I did it might be wiser to pick up used 904 and swap it instead of rebuild the current. I'll hit you up when I get home.

Right on man, much appreciated. I may have lost 3rd gear and i'd need to get your opinion if so. Thinking if I did it might be wiser to pick up used 904 and swap it instead of rebuild the current. I'll hit you up when I get home.
What you think the trans is bad?:eek:ops:hit me up.:banghead:lol damn old cars.you know i'm going to the u s nationals so we can fix it! need to take as much money as i can......

i went over to hell,saetuns house,sic lol anyway took everything off the top of the engine.it is an a/c car (like mine) it went very quickly .the heads look real good for what he paid the shop.the stock heads look decent .they could be bolted on another 318 just to make it runable.cam was a little tore up.lifters were just barly cupped like a normal 318 that was running for years.sunday we will be transforming this teener into a well running ,torquey engine with a little power.your cars going to be cool jeff.

I'm hoping to put together an A body club once I get my car back on the road for guys in the surrounding bay area. Not many A body clubs that I know of in our area. There is Capitol city mopars up in sac but I get a bad vibe from those guys. Kinda dicks the ones I've talked to. Let me know what ya think.

i cant speak for saetun but yeah it would be cool to have an a body club in the bay area.i agree about the a-holes in the club you refered to .no i'm not going to give them goodguy a--holes any more of my money for a while.25 dollars to park in the fairgrounds parking lot.plus theres nothing i havent seen,if there is my buddy will let me know.the only thing i want to see is the model car show,didnt get to enter didnt jump thru enough hoops...lol enough with the highjack!:finga:

i went over to hell,saetuns house,sic lol anyway took everything off the top of the engine.it is an a/c car (like mine) it went very quickly .the heads look real good for what he paid the shop.the stock heads look decent .they could be bolted on another 318 just to make it runable.cam was a little tore up.lifters were just barly cupped like a normal 318 that was running for years.sunday we will be transforming this teener into a well running ,torquey engine with a little power.your cars going to be cool jeff.

Yep, Looks real good, Mike. I'll get the pics from Thursday up tonight. Just got back from GoodGuys, had a great time but not tons of Mopar. I'd be interested in a local Mopar club, all A Bodies or all Mopar, I wouldnt mind either. Just as long as everyone was cool to hang out with & got some decent participation.

Hit the bottom half with degreaser several times today & cleaned up the K-Member. It came out super decent, Way better than expected.

On a crappy note, Since I've blown my budget for this year & am stuck with the 318 manifolds until next year, I paid a guy that was introduced to me by a neighbor to sandblast, prime & paint my manifolds. I got back from goodguys today & got the manifolds. After the guy leaves I take a closer look at them and the damned guy ripped me off. He painted the manifolds without doin' jack to 'em. They still have the rust & grease under the paint. I took a screwdriver to the paint because it didn't look quite right & sure enough.... I've been had. I really can't believe it. I never would have imagined since my neighbor is a standup guy. Worst part is, I'm in a worse spot now than I was because now I have greasy, rusty & painted manifolds instead of just greasy, rusty manifolds. It was only $50 but it's damn near the last $50 I've got.

sigh...

Alright! Bad440 came over on Thursday & began to break down the old 318 & get it ready for the new cam, the reworked & re-valved 302 heads! (I'm remaining positive in light of some recent bad karma) Bad440 & I hung out most of the day & due to an injury, I wasn't much help at all. But that didn't keep Bad440 from being in awesome spirits as well as being a great guy to shoot the breeze with!

Here are the pics & take a look if you can see how worn down that stock 40 year old cam looked!

...That's Badd440 doin' all the work!!!

Attachments

• Neighbors hate me.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 532
  • 2012-08-23_13.32.50.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 529
  • 2012-08-23_13.30.26.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 508
  • 2012-08-23_12.37.42.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 523
  • 2012-08-23_12.37.51.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 534
  • 2012-08-23_12.52.45.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 507
  • 2012-08-23_12.43.33.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 524
  • 2012-08-23_12.53.33.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 527
Hopefully, We'll have it all buttoned up by tomorrow afternoon & I'll be able to post some pics that I'll be a little more proud to show off!

:evil1:

Attachments

• 2012-08-23_14.36.56.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 515
Bay Area A body Club? Cool. Good job on your Dart it is looking sweet and should run pretty damn good with the 302 heads and cam.

Bad440 & I were at it all day today... I'm super pleased with our progress. I'll post pics tomorrow. So close to turning the key it's almost torture.

Bad440 & I were at it all day today... I'm super pleased with our progress. I'll post pics tomorrow. So close to turning the key it's almost torture.
patients grasshopper.....

Looking good, I like the way your are doing it and keeping it running the whole time.
If you havent patched your passenger side floor board, I have a new panel in the box I will let go cheap.
PM me.

Yesterday we made some serious headway. Finally, the old cam came out after nearly 40 years & it looked it:

Attachments

• Out with the old stock cam.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 512
  • Stock cam out 1.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 506
  • Stock cam out 2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 504
  • Stock cam out 3.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 506
  • Bare bottom end with old cam.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 508
When we took the damper & timing set off, the timing gear was incredibly loose. Like cheerleader on prom night loose. On top of that on further inspection, the stock nylon gear had at least seven (that's 7) cracks that I could count. I can't believe it didn't just fly apart while I was driving it. Luckily, I had this new double roller set ready to take over, so that's one crisis diverted.

Attachments

• Lunati Timing Set.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 501
  • Stock timing gear with 7 cracks.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 489
Meanwhile, Back at the ranch... We had the block torn down & were ready to get the new cam in. Bad440 brought a bucks down version of a degree wheel & I devised a Mcguyver version of a pointer (fancy white coat hanger had to be sacrificed) and we got to work installing & degree-ing that new cam in! We worked pretty well as a team and after checking, then double checking... we came in at 106 degrees just as the card specced out. not too shabby.

Attachments

• Cleaned up Bores.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 504
  • Opening XE268 Cam.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 496
  • Cam going in.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 502
  • Degree Wheel & Pointer 3.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 503
  • Degree Wheel & Pointer 2.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,346
  • Degree Wheel & Pointer.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 489
  • XE268 Lobe shot.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 488
After the cam was securely in it's new home & properly set, the new Lunati timing set was slapped in. As I looked at the stock 40 year old damper, I started to think that it was going to be a shame to bolt that dilapidated old wheel back onto that block. So I got to cleaning, sanding & painting. That old damper got a nice makeover & new MSD timing tape made it look 30 years younger. now my OCD can leave me be....for now.

Attachments

• Cleaned up Damper.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 518
  • Damper paint in progress.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 482
  • Cam & Timing Set installed.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 497
Next we set our sights on getting those pretty new (to me) 302 casting heads bolted up. For those who haven't followed the whole thread, the heads were a junkyard find that were magnafluxed, bowl blended, ports opened, 188".160" valves installed, new springs & hardware then painted up.

Attachments

• 302 heads on front.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 510
  • 302 heads & timing set installed.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 492
  • 302 heads on.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 487
Whew we've been at it all day & we were getting close to the finish line. After bolting the intake back on & timing cover, water pump, etc... (damn disappearing water pump bolts...) Bad440 broke the news to me that before i bolt up the exhaust manifolds (I know, I know...) that the little smog holes in the 302 heads, the ones below the exhaust ports need to be plugged. UGH!!! so close!! So that's where we called it for the day, buttoned most of it back up sans the Air Conditioning, which won't be making a return & the radiator & some misc stuff like the alternator & pulleys (which reminds me, I need to find a set of non-AC pulleys) & closed up shop for the night. Bad440 is off to visit some family for a week & that gives me time to source out the non-AC pulleys & find a way to plug those holes on the heads before he gets back. Hopefully then I can break in the cam, get the dizzy recurved & the carburetor dialed in and enjoy what I'm imagining will be an entirely different '73 Swinger.

Attachments

• intake back on.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 480
  • Intake & air cleaner back on.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 492
hey nice timeline .the pics came out good.can't wait to hear it fire up.see you next week.gonna see the hemi challenge!at indy.i will take massive pictures ....mopars rule! later jeff:burnout::burnout:

-
Back