Normal for Water Pump Housings?

-

Seandavid55

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the substance is. It's very hard. It doesn't look like it would impede the function. Just seems odd.
20220218_125045_copy_768x1024.jpg

Casting had a large protrusion of material that would seem to be right in the patch off the coolant. Don't think the picture shows it well, but it sticks up just shy of 1/2". Not sure i have anything that could really get in there and clean it up.
20220218_125142_copy_768x1024.jpg

Should I worry about either of these?

Thanks

Second picture looks like casting slag, possibly. The first one appears to be on a machined surface. That is odd-can it be scraped off? Is that a new part?

Second picture looks like casting slag, possibly. The first one appears to be on a machined surface. That is odd-can it be scraped off? Is that a new part?

It is certainly material from the casting process. I'm just surprised at the amount of it. I'd think that would cause some kind of disturbance in the flow of the coolant.

Wire brush and brake clean wouldn't get it. I was able to use a piece of scrap metal and scarp of whatever it was. It appears it was used to cover/fill pitting.

This is a new housing just received from Mancini today.

Last edited:
First picture: sometimes a machined surface is covered with a removable plastic/elastic coating to protect it from subsequent machining or chemical processes such as plating. Looks to me that it is leftover protective coating that failed to be easily removed.

Water - alcohol - mineral spirits; are the three main solvents... One of them should help take the 'stain' off the inside of the housing...

Water - alcohol - mineral spirits; are the three main solvents... One of them should help take the 'stain' off the inside of the housing...

Definitely not a stain. Looks to like it was strategically placed to fill some pitting. Brake cleaner did nothing, but I was able to scrape it off exposing the pitting.
20220218_133717_copy_1024x768.jpg

There are some very deep pin holes here and there in other places.

How about the slag? Leave it or try to get something in there to grind it down.

Flip it over and lets inspect the out-let hole sizes. Some of those aluminum chink housings were half closed off on the one side.

Flip it over and lets inspect the out-let hole sizes. Some of those aluminum chink housings were half closed off on the one side.
You got that right, and they had trouble with some of them running hot because they couldn't get enough flow out of the radiator.

I'll put up a picture of that side tomorrow when I'm back at the shop.

Thanks everyone.

I would sure get some fine wire and see if any of those pits go all the way through.

I would doubt you would see any measurable temp difference with the housing as is...or with the pitting filled in.

Definitely not a stain. Looks to like it was strategically placed to fill some pitting. Brake cleaner did nothing, but I was able to scrape it off exposing the pitting.
View attachment 1715873059
There are some very deep pin holes here and there in other places.

How about the slag? Leave it or try to get something in there to grind it down.
Looks to me the manufacturer used an epoxy material to fill in porosity left from the casting process. And they did a really poor job of it. Back in my manufacturing-foundry days we used a product called Devcon, there was a limit on the depth, the size and the number of porosity pin holes per sq inch. From the photos that part exceeds what we would repair due to the size of the defects.
I would be on the phone with Mancini telling them the new part they shipped has porosity and that it needs to be exchanged.

I'm not sure what the substance is. It's very hard. It doesn't look like it would impede the function. Just seems odd.
View attachment 1715872401

Casting had a large protrusion of material that would seem to be right in the patch off the coolant. Don't think the picture shows it well, but it sticks up just shy of 1/2". Not sure i have anything that could really get in there and clean it up.
View attachment 1715872402

Should I worry about either of these?

Thanks
That bit of slag in photo 2 might impede the cyclonic efficiency of the fluid. So I'd clean up the bit of slag in photo #2 a bit with a die grinder. I'd completely ignore the filled/unfilled machined surface blemish in photo #1 because it doesn't reach to the important inside edge of the impeller's mating surface which isn't a close tolerance fit to the impeller in any case. Cooled coolant is drawn from the lower radiator hose port and pulled forcefully through the large round hole in the center of the housing, then is thrown out forcefully by the impeller to the round ports in the housing. I'd be more concerned with any casting defect that blocks the inlet pathway, as the suction side of a centrifugal pump is the most limiting flow factor. You have provided no photos of that passageway. It's a shame that such poor quality high $$ aftermarket parts are shipped in the first place, but on the other hand a lot of the original cast iron parts have similar/worse defects that no inspector even looked at much less attempted to fill. Yet they worked just fine then and now.

-
Back