normall leaf springs?

-

dusterboyy440

Reaction score
Alrite so the guy that owned the car before me..moved the leafsprings and shortned the rear. Is it normal for the leafsprings to be a little sideways?

dustersprings.JPG

dustershackles.JPG

Nope, mine aren't like that. They site nice and even. Maybe he has the back tube welded on an angle. Are both sides like that?

No, they should be straight and level. Am I seeing this right that the shackle hole in the frame rail doesn't have a bushing and it is only the sheet metal supporting the bolt? If so not good.

Chuck

there is a bushung but it kinda looks like the sheet metal might have been torn and he tried to re-weld it..does anybody have pics of their leafsprings from behind??

No, they should be straight and level. Am I seeing this right that the shackle hole in the frame rail doesn't have a bushing and it is only the sheet metal supporting the bolt? If so not good.

Chuck

X2!! That is some scary stuff there.

The frame rail is cracked on one side causing the shackle to sit sideways like that. It looks like it was reinforced.

IM000968.jpg

do they need to be welded a certain amount of inches from the bottom of the fraim rail?

I used the hole that was all ready in the rail. Yours is pulled through that hole. It looks to me like there was just a bolt running through the hole. There should be a pipe welded inside the hole to reinforce it.

If the front mount was relocated inboard with the MP kit you need to get the offset shackles to go with them.

I think Adam hit the nail on the head. It looks like the bolt has ripped through part of the frame. Take it apart, weld a pipe through the hole so everything is level and then reinforce the entire area.

Jack

Its all ready got the 3" spring relocation kit judging from the pictures. The problem is in the way the rear shackles were installed with out reinforcement. I would take a real good look at the way the shckles and front boxes were welded.

Is there a bushing that goes inside the pipe you are supposed to weld? where should i pick some new shackles up at?

Got your PM but I'll answer here in case it can help others.

I believe the pipe is 1" outside diameter. It needs to be just big enough for the shackle bushings to fit through and should be a bit longer then the width of the frame rail so you can weld it in. Some guys like to reinforce it with washer on either side.

check down at the bottom of the page, theres a few good pictures.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/springs.shtml

You make the bushing the same length as the leaf spring is wide and use a bushing with the bore the same as the leaf spring bore. You will use a standard shackle and bushings for replacement ones.

Chuck

i wouldnt even mess with fixing that. get a set of sliders and weld to the bottom of the frame rail

I was just going to say that. If that area of the frame is damaged at all, the easiest fix it to weldin sliders

can someone explain to me what sliders are and possibly a pic why are they better than fixing it and why are they better at all. Thanks Justin

-
Back