Nos??

-

Cerwin

Reaction score
As I become more and more atached to FABO, I read more and more.. and i tend to find the term, "NOS"

What is NOS?

and im not talking about the bottle (Juice, Nitrius Oxide) :toothy7:

i mean parts.. (NOS Grill, NOS Mirror)

Thanks.

Cerwin

I allways thought New Old Stock was factory parts, but lots of guys
include any un-sold part. There was a guy on e-Bay that was selling a voltage regulator for a Mopar in a K-Mart box. You have to watch what you buy! Mike

toolmanmike said:
I allways thought New Old Stock was factory parts, but lots of guys
include any un-sold part. There was a guy on e-Bay that was selling a voltage regulator for a Mopar in a K-Mart box. You have to watch what you buy! Mike

In my opinion, if you stumbled across a plymouth dealership that locked their doors in 71 and found a 71 unused, brand new cuda grille in the box. that'd be considered NOS..in my opinion. Since it would be made from the original tooling and such :lol:

PostalBGraham said:
As long as we're on this subject, how about helping me out with "oem". I assume that it's "original equipment m***". Does the "m" stand for "mint"?

oem = Original equiptment manufacturer

NOS (New Old Stock) is generally accepted as meaning brand new parts (never installed) which were available through an OEM distributor or dealership parts department, but have been discontinued and are no longer available. Since a lot of these parts may have also been unsold for years while being shuffled around to hundreds of swap meets, they may not appear as pristine as they did on the day of their manufacture ("never installed" doesn't always mean new-appearing).

As stated above, I have also seen some sellers using this term to describe ANY brand new, unused automotive part manufactured by anyone. Its an eye-catching buzz word and many seem to be applying a loose meaning to the term. Watch out and ask who made the part.

340mopar - I agree with you as well, although I found the word "rare" is also a relative term. Clean rust-free fenders may be "rare" in NY state, but here in SoCal, they're everywhere.

That's a valid point. If they made 15,000 of an item originaly it might not be rare then but if there is only 2500 left I guess it would be rare now.

-
Back