Not a good time to be in egypt

-

fcm42000

Banned
Reaction score
I have been a defense contractor for about 3 years now, been all over the middle east, spent 13 months in Iraq. In Iraq I was gaurded by US soldiers and marines, so I did not worry about safety very much. The weekly mortars kept us on our toes, but I figured if its your time then.., Had a couple close calls with mortar fire but only one that was so close I thought it might be my time. I do this for the money and it gives me an oppourtunity to work for my country, I love being around the soldiers and solving some of their problems.

Now, I am in Egypt, i figured a decent paying job with a great oppourtunity to learn, I was given a site manager position at a young age, so run with it. Now **** is hitting the fan, people are getting killed in the small town I live by and it might be time to pack up. The border is closed and I am supposd to fly out of Isreal home next week, I am screwed.

Has anyone ever been stuck in a conflicted country, literally stuck?

Have never been in your shoes but I will be praying for you. Keep us posted.

fcm, we will be praying for your safety and the situation your in as well as the people of Egpyt. How long were you in Iraq? I will have some questions for you about that country.
Small Block

I was in Iraq for jun08- aug 09. Luckily my internet provider is in Tel Aviv so I can call home and get online. I tell you I felt a lot safer in Iraq. I am contractor, we know the stakes.

We're here for you and will pray for your safety. Wish I could cruise over and pick you up. keep us posted. toolman

I am on a nato "base" if you call it that by the gaza strip. I am sure I am safe just stuck, probably gonna quit over this. Cant really call the embassy the phones are down. this is my companies problem now, get me out or fork over some cash

Wow, I would say the title of your thread is an understatement. Will be praying for your safe return. No I have never been stuck in a conflicted country. Something to think about when we are inconvenienced by travel delays or other times when we think things are bad in the USA.

One time, I was with a planeload of passengers who were diverted to Puerto Rico overnight due to bad weather...people were b*tching and complaining...c'mon people it's Puerto Rico, there's food, drinks, music, and warm beds here. What a bunch of whiners some people are.

So the news is reporting just 3 killed in a major city in Egypt. But in a small town people are dying. From your viewpoint/knowledge/scuttlebut, who is leading this rebellion? I don't know who to believe on the news.

Got stuck in Nigeria a couple of times during different military coups. Keep your head down, and your *** off the street, and you will get through it. Luckily Egypt has a very diverse religious base, and it should come down to politics only. They will get through this reasonably quickly; one way or another

Stay as safe as possible. Plan your options and be ready to do your options,

Luck is good planning and preparedness.

Good Luck bruther. Get home as soon as you can, and stay here.
I left this country for 5 days back in 1993, and I'll never set foot off US soil ever again.

George

-
Back