Not a Mopar but I have a question.

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Ok, don't shoot me but I need some help. I work on most any old classic car. Right now I have a beautiful 57 Bel Air in my shop that I'm working on for a good friend of mine. The original hood is heavy and the old hood springs just can't do the job any more. I bought a new set and wanted to ask. Any body know an easy way to replace the old ones?

Been a long time since I changed hood springs.
I would pull the hood and then remove the hinge assembly as a unit and remove the spring away from the car.If I remember correctly they come off as an assembly.
Replace the spring on to the hinges and then reinstall.

I like those '57's. A couple of years ago I painted a '58 stepside with my uncle who has a '55 stepside that he's had since the 70's. We've got a '56 stepside in our shop and it's a '99 suburban underneath with the '56 body on top. I do like those Bel Airs though! 1957 was the best year for them IMO.

don't remember anymore on 57 chev. used to remove the springs on my 69 b body by hooking a large box wrench over the hook and giving a good yank. put a stick under the hood of course

I changed the springs on my 70 Chevelle last year and I know the hinges on my 55 BelAire are similar. I used a long screwdriver/pry bar and it worked well. I did remove the hood and hinges from the car because as with any spring things can go bad very quickly. I always take the long way around, maybe it's just me but every shortcut I take costs me many times what I save.

Kill the heretic!

Oh wait.

I'd do something like the video above or how we deal with a clutch overcenter spring.

Thanks guys, I knew you all would come thru. Think I'm going to make one of those tube and washer tools.

-
Back