Not a Mopar, but...

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
This is some of my favorite stuff to do on cars.
You can see what this Pontiac trim panel looked like before I got my hands on it, and after it was done.
The owner bought this 65 GTO four speed tri power car brand new in 1965 for 3k out the door.

First I completely stripped the entire panel of all the old paint.
The Pontiac script was missing all it’s paint that was recessed into the lettering, so with a lot of taping and razor blade work the chrome stripes and letters were masked and the panel was sprayed with self etching primer and satin black enamel as a top coat.
The masking was removed immediately after spraying the panel and it was left to dry for 24 hrs.

Next up was to scuff and hand paint the script in porcelain white leaving the raised edges unpainted as it should be.
The owner of the car flipped out when he saw it, and literally was walking around in circles with his hands on his head saying OMG OMG OMG!
Pretty sure I saw a tear or two. :D

F83461A3-70A3-40EF-9439-4D79B18FDAD5.jpeg

B602B710-04AE-4313-823A-3744ECA4A2C9.png

948BA6CC-E1A7-4278-AF12-C26D68ECEA7C.jpeg

Beautiful work. What type of material was it? Were there any dents.

It’s basic emblem type material (pot metal maybe?)
No dents, just most of the paint gone.
Thanks.
I did a lot of work to this car getting it back drivable again after sitting 20 years and some hack putting it back together after new paint.
Nothing was adjusted right on the body, hood, doors and trunk along with a bunch of messed up electrical.
When I installed a refurbished OE am radio in it I noticed the trim plate for the radio was literally plain old polished lead.
I thought that was pretty interesting.
Not a California car I guess. :D

Looks great!!..
I've been working extensively on a 65 GTO for the last year and a half.... My customer threw up his hands at the pitted rear panel and just bought a repop... At some point I think they can get too far gone..

Looks great!!..
I've been working extensively on a 65 GTO for the last year and a half.... My customer threw up his hands at the pitted rear panel and just bought a repop... At some point I think they can get too far gone..

So then did you see the triple chrome plated panel for $1,300 on ebay?
We looked for another one because of some pitting, but a lot of them looked like they originally had dimples.
Where the paint was still there you could see them under the paint.

Geez Greg I didn't know you had this talent.

Del, I generally don’t show what I do, but I’m trying to get over that.
Since starting my YouTube channel I kind of have to. :D
To me it still feels like boasting and that’s not a trait I care for in others either, but...
I do want to tell you a quick story about what happened with Mikes freshly assembled big block Dart though.
On the cam break in there were five of us there and the motor started, but ran like crap and would not rev to the break in RPM.
You could open the throttle with zero change in RPM, and it rich smoked really bad and then would die.
I built and donated the Edelbrock 750 that was on it, and everyone blamed that for the startup fail, but I was confident in it but decided we should swap it out only to have the motor run the same (barely ran)
Then I noticed splices in the distributor pickup coil wires.
Yep, he didn’t know polarity mattered.
Put the carb I built back on and it fired right off and ran perfectly for the break in.
I explained to them that opening the throttle and it making zero difference was because the advance weights were making the problem worse as they tried to advance with increased RPM and causing the rotor phasing to be even farther off.
They looked at me like I was nuts saying it wouldn’t run at all if the polarity was reversed.
He had the ONE guy there that knew what the problem was because of all the hei kits I built.
Everyone was shocked that I figured it out and fixed it, saying they would have never figured that out.
There I boasted a little.:D
Now I just have to be careful not to overcompensate on it.

BB4C222F-3581-4954-AC86-939EE45F588F.jpeg

Man, can that big block even breathe with that thin air cleaner on it?

Man, can that big block even breathe with that thin air cleaner on it?
Of course not.:D
He lives on about 1/2 mile of dirt road.
It’s the only one he had at the time and is probably gone already.

Last edited:
-
Back