not an a body but...

-
Reaction score
How do you really get the check engine light off on a 97 1500 dodge?

I had a missfire code so I changed the plug wires and disconnected the battery [both terminals] and touched them together to discharge capacitors then hooked'em back up 2hrs later.

Not sure if it's gonna work so I'm asking you guy's.

thanks in advance:cheers:
Justin

I know on my dakota I just remove the positive terminal and ground it out for about 10 seconds and it resets. I get a stupid smog pump fault every once in a while.

The ecm will scan the system when restarted,if the original problem no longer exists the light will stay off.I dont think it will clear the code in there until a DRB or scan tool is hooked up but the light will stay off if the problem is solved.

How do you really get the check engine light off on a 97 1500 dodge?

Like 340sixpack said, fix the problem that's causing the code. If changing the plug wires was what was needed, then you might have gotten lucky. The only way to erase stored codes is with a scan tool or DRB (Chrysler scan tool).

A code only indicates there is a problem with a particular circuit but will not tell you what the exact issue is.

Drive the truck for a bit and run through all the monitors. If the light does not come back on, then you're good.

If the light stays off after driving it a while you probably found the problem. If it comes back on heres some thing that commonly can cause it basically in order of most likely first. A scan tool ( I don't know how you got the code without one) is best to turn off the light. Your ECM may have a memory of a couple hours, and it won't have to do any re-learning. Good Luck
  1. Spark plugs
  2. Spark plug wires
  3. Ignition coil
  4. Fuel injector
  5. Wiring to fuel injector
  6. Timing Belt
  7. Vacuum leak or stuck open EGR
  8. Contaminated fuel or bad fuel pump
  9. Weak compression
  10. Blown head gasket

Update!

It worked.

I drove down to downtown SD and cruised around with the family, got sum lunch at Bay park fish and then cruised back to N. county =80miles.

Mark the smog guy said 2 of 3 modules were clear and thats all you need to run a smog, that and a clean tail pipe to actually pass.

Hey thanks for the help guy's!

Update!

It worked.

Well hey, congrats on guessing the right part to change. Hope the light stays off for you.

Not sure what 'module' you bud is referring to - a module is generally a part of the computer network that controls a specific system like the airbag or ABS.

Monitors are what relay emissions/misfire information back to the PCM. Sometimes they are only run under certain conditions (i.e. - the EVAP system on my Jeep is generally run with either less than a 1/4 tank of gas or more than 3/4) and all are not run at the same time. It may take a while for the computer to run through all the checks, sometimes it takes multiple drive cycles and mileage may not be the criteria for passing checks.

Well hey, congrats on guessing the right part to change. Hope the light stays off for you.

Not sure what 'module' you bud is referring to - a module is generally a part of the computer network that controls a specific system like the airbag or ABS.

Monitors are what relay emissions/misfire information back to the PCM. Sometimes they are only run under certain conditions (i.e. - the EVAP system on my Jeep is generally run with either less than a 1/4 tank of gas or more than 3/4) and all are not run at the same time. It may take a while for the computer to run through all the checks, sometimes it takes multiple drive cycles and mileage may not be the criteria for passing checks.

monitors yes, but you knew that, thanks.

Yes and with an 1/8 of a tank I got another code '31' evap purge maybe, yea!=P~
I'm sure I'll figure it out.:read2:

BTW it coded a miss fire which could have been 3 or 4 things like the coil voltage etc but when you're lookin at 2 plug wire cores exposed and laying on each other and everything around'em you gotta start smart and go from there.:cheers:

monitors yes, but you knew that, thanks.

Yes and with an 1/8 of a tank I got another code '31' evap purge maybe, yea!=P~
I'm sure I'll figure it out.:read2:

BTW it coded a miss fire which could have been 3 or 4 things like the coil voltage etc but when you're lookin at 2 plug wire cores exposed and laying on each other and everything around'em you gotta start smart and go from there.:cheers:

Sounds like you have a lot going on with that truck. Good luck with getting it all fixed. EVAP problems suck, they're difficult to diagnose.

-
Back