Not cooling!

-

Kevin D.

Reaction score
I put a 26 inch champion radiator and 2 12 inch fans connected directly to radiator.Fans on 180 0ff 160.Thought I would use a 160 degree thermostat to help.2 bottles of water wetter.No good shut off at 215 coasted home,Kevin.

Why did you flake out at only 215? THAT is not hot

What are you running for a pressure cap?

Is it puking coolant?

"Let's talk" about these fans. There is a LOT of junk.

A REAL fan uses a LOT of power They have to have the blades turning the correct direction and THEY NEED TO SHROUD THE ENTIRE CORE

Also, if you are going, say, 40 or better AND ARE NOT running with a 40 mph tailwind, the thing should cool regardless of fans

Was this a slow cruise around the block, any traffic, or a highway run? How did it cool before the radiator swap? What setup were you using before ( fan, radiator, thermostat )?

I have a Champion 22" 4 row in the Valiant....keeps it pretty cool, sometimes the temp guage creeps up a little bit but I think that's the thermostat sticking. So far I'm satisfied. Running a 14" pusher elec fan stuck to the fron of the radiator.

IF you can, do a test. Take off the electric fans and install a decent stock clutch fan with or with out a shroud, preferably with a shroud but I hear champion rads have shroud issues.

Your electric fans are probably just not doing their job for two reasons.

One they do not flow enough cfm, the other,
they are not mounted in a proper dual fan shroud.

mopar clutch fan pulls 5500 cfm @ 1750 rpm.

Dual 12s, well it depends but they probably pull 1100 to 1500 each and that would be only optimized if run thru a well designed dual fan shroud with flapper one way valves.

It takes really heavy duty electric fans to pull what a stock clutch fan will pull, particularly when a stock clutch fan is mated to a proper shroud.

Dual fan shroud from 4secondsflat.com this one is pretty good design except the vent louvers which should actually be one way flap valves.

Unless your fans are making 2000 cfm each which is still marginal, simply run a good condition used thermo control mopar hd clutch fan and try to get a stock shroud to fit the radiator.

Most pairs of elec fans listed show total cfm on their rating.

I see alot on summit that say "2500 cfm, each" and that aint each fan, that is each assembly. Lots of aftermarket fans are about 1250 each. 2500 cfm is not near optimal to cool a hopped up motor on the street. Some people some how manage but lots of people have issues with anemic cfm.

Second pic is a thermostatically controlled (bi-metallic spring on front of clutch) 440 clutch fan assy. This will cool anything when used with a shroud. Simply put, if you cannot cool the motor with this fan, your issues are not related to the fan. Nice thing about a clutch fan is it uses minimal horse power at high rpm.

Attachments

• dualfanshroudfrom4secondsflatdotcom.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 215
  • mopar440thermo-clutchfan.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 226
I guess a few here have been through this.My 26 inch mopar 2 core rad with clutch fan worked okay.But started to leak went with champion 26 inch 3 core and now my clutch fan wont fit. 11 lbs cap no radiator not puking.Thanks Kevin.

Check the length on this fan clutch and see if it will work for you. I have personally run it on my car at one time. There are several members here that have also used it because of clearance issues. I got the part number from them. Here is a link a to it: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-2765/

And yes it says jaguar but it does fit the waterpump, comes with a bushing to make it fit properly.

-
Back