"Not Dad's" Duster

-

Michael Siple

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Son and dad new to site. bought a 71 duster and being our first mopar we have some questions regards to numbers decoding. my questions have been asked thousands of times. here are some numbers and locations they were found. block cast # driver side of block 2780930-340-8 . 11-18-69 with a clock pointer @ 12 with 2 dots @ 11 on the passenger side of block. Passenger side low @ pan believed to be last 8 of vin of original car -0B259831. Wondering what kind of car it came from ? Anyone here have that vin ?, clock pointer on pass side of blk D or N ours points to D for daytime I think, heads are stamped with an obvious J on both but pass head J is stamped backwards. Engine serial # from driver front of block is FW340P31220183. Is there anyway of telling what it come out of with this number ? we have a 1971 duster with a early 1970 340 that has the 6 pk- think the 6pk came later and not original. Thinking trans(727) and diff are original. we are in Wilmington Delaware , bought this as a entry level into this world and trying to learn all I can about it. thanks for any help or guidance. by the way old mopars rock. Sorry folks, posted in wrong forum !

Last edited:
your entry level car is a 340 six pack?

i think you'll fit right in here junior

Welcome guys. Sounds like you have a great project

project for certain. pretty decent car - plenty to do on it- under dash needs attention & a little interior help. starts, runs, drives, stopping needs help. pretty sure it has too much cam causing poor vacuum ?? maybe too lumpy but runs well. it will be a puzzle. guess I got to find what cam is in it. no shortcuts to that are there ? thanks folks

Welcome to the world of Mopar! Sounds like a great project.

Not sure if there is a way to find what car the engine came out of.

thanks for the "junior" diymirage, you must be OLD er than me. made me feel days younger

im not sure if im older then you (but considering that your son is old enough to wrench, i doubt that i am), i meant it more in the sense of "rookie"

-
Back