Not going in reverse

-

flynlady

Reaction score
Where should start? Recently had linkage seal replace and it does have a problem shifting into 3rd. I have to let off the gas to get it to shift into 3rd BUT now it doesn't want to back up. HELP !!

Does it shift correctly into 2nd, or do you have to let up to get it to shift then too? Did reverse go all at once or did it ship some first? How many miles on the trans. and what car/trans. are we even talking about?

Does it shift correctly into 2nd, or do you have to let up to get it to shift then too? Did reverse go all at once or did it ship some first? How many miles on the trans. and what car/trans. are we even talking about?

Yes, shifts into 2nd without having to let off the gas.

It feels like its shifting into reverse but when I press the gas it doesn't move. When I got home tonight, I pulled into the garage and put it in reverse. I gave it a good bit of gas and it creeped backwards.

I'm not certain of how many miles are on the transmission but I believe it could possibly original and probably a 903. I believe that the engine was replaced and is a '76 225 /6.

The car is SUPPOSED to have 40,000 original miles and odometer does agree BUT I'm suspicious that the info I have is NOT correct.

Aaarrrgggghhhh....I WISH I had correct info on this car!!!!!

It sounds like it has multiple failures. Reverse and high gear are on opposite ends of the transmission in completely different clutch packs. Pull the dipstick and look at the fluid color and smell it. If it's really dark red or brown and smells burned, that's a really bad sign. From there, drop the pan and see if there's any debris in it. If there is, it's time for a rebuild. Oh and it's probably a 904. The mileage could still be correct. Sometimes they just fail.

Actually the front clutch pack is for 3rd and reverse Rob. The difference is in 3rd the rear clutch pack is engaged along with the front pack and in reverse the rear band is engaged along with the front pack. It's possible it is 2 problems such as the reverse band is way out of adjustment or just plain worn out and there's a valve body issue that causes the hesitant 3rd gear but I'm more inclined to suspect it's the front clutch that's the issue because it'll cause all the problems flynlady says it does. The fluid smell/color check is a good indicator of the condition of the trans., unless the fluid has been recently changed.

Flynlady it's hard for me to guess about the mileage but it's entirely possible the speedo was rolled over and it has 140,000 miles, not 40,000. That's the bad thing about the old cars odometers, once they hit 99,999.9 they roll over to zero again and start over. Hope not but through the yrs. I've seen a lot of guys try to pass off high mileage cars as low mileage.

My suggestion is to do what Rob said which is check the color and smell of the fluid. Do that and let us know how it is.

It sounds like it has multiple failures. Reverse and high gear are on opposite ends of the transmission in completely different clutch packs. Pull the dipstick and look at the fluid color and smell it. If it's really dark red or brown and smells burned, that's a really bad sign. From there, drop the pan and see if there's any debris in it. If there is, it's time for a rebuild. Oh and it's probably a 904. The mileage could still be correct. Sometimes they just fail.

Thanks! That's what I'm worried about ... Re-build. My plan is to replace the 225 with a 318. I HAVE the 318 AND a 727 transmission BUT I'm not ready to do the swap yet. So rebuilding the 903 trans to keep me until I can do the swap, throws a total wrench in my budget!!!

My husband questioned whether it is a 903 or 904 or 902 trans BUT the '66 service states that the /6 had a A-903 trans. How do I KNOW what kind of transmission it is?!?!?

Have a great day!!

Maybe check the fluid level first also. Get it up to temp and run it through all of the gears, even if it doesn't move in those gears, then clean the dipstick and check the fluid level with the car running and in neutral!! Top it off and try it again!!

Actually the front clutch pack is for 3rd and reverse Rob. The difference is in 3rd the rear clutch pack is engaged along with the front pack and in reverse the rear band is engaged along with the front pack. It's possible it is 2 problems such as the reverse band is way out of adjustment or just plain worn out and there's a valve body issue that causes the hesitant 3rd gear but I'm more inclined to suspect it's the front clutch that's the issue because it'll cause all the problems flynlady says it does. The fluid smell/color check is a good indicator of the condition of the trans., unless the fluid has been recently changed.

Flynlady it's hard for me to guess about the mileage but it's entirely possible the speedo was rolled over and it has 140,000 miles, not 40,000. That's the bad thing about the old cars odometers, once they hit 99,999.9 they roll over to zero again and start over. Hope not but through the yrs. I've seen a lot of guys try to pass off high mileage cars as low mileage.

My suggestion is to do what Rob said which is check the color and smell of the fluid. Do that and let us know how it is.

Hey Tracy,
Is it possible that the rear servo lip seal could cause enough of a leak as to make 3rd really soft? (maybe?)
With the symtoms she has the fluid should be badly burned if it's clutches.

That's right. I was thinkin low and reverse for some reason......like a dumbass.

Finlady, yall should get a book and do it yourselves. You got any idea how easy a three speed torqueflite is? When you get done, you'll slap yourself for ever thinkin about payin somebody to do it.

I've never heard of a 902 or a 903. I'm sure it is a A-904.

Agreed.

Hey Tracy,
Is it possible that the rear servo lip seal could cause enough of a leak as to make 3rd really soft? (maybe?)
With the symtoms she has the fluid should be badly burned if it's clutches.

The rear servo isn't applied in high gear. I don't think it'd cause a problem in 3rd even if the seal was totally gone

Thanks! That's what I'm worried about ... Re-build. My plan is to replace the 225 with a 318. I HAVE the 318 AND a 727 transmission BUT I'm not ready to do the swap yet. So rebuilding the 903 trans to keep me until I can do the swap, throws a total wrench in my budget!!!

My husband questioned whether it is a 903 or 904 or 902 trans BUT the '66 service states that the /6 had a A-903 trans. How do I KNOW what kind of transmission it is?!?!?

Have a great day!!

If your going to swap to a 318 you might consider finding a 904 to use behind it. The 727 is a great trans. but wayyyy overkill for anything but a blown/NOS crammed 318. I always recommend using the 904 anytime you can because it sucks up quite a bit less power to spin it compared to a 727. The 904 will also get better fuel mileage. Plus if you change to a 727 you'll have to change your driveshaft or pay to have it cut down and balanced which you wouldn't do if you keep a 904 in the car. Just my .02

OK...my head is going to EXPLODE...LOL!!

We have a local mechanic that is a former Chrysler mechanic AND he doesn't over charge. BUT I'll run all of this by my husband who knows a lot more than me. He's reluctant to work on transmission since he doesn't have a lot of experience and knowledge about them.

If your going to swap to a 318 you might consider finding a 904 to use behind it. The 727 is a great trans. but wayyyy overkill for anything but a blown/NOS crammed 318. I always recommend using the 904 anytime you can because it sucks up quite a bit less power to spin it compared to a 727. The 904 will also get better fuel mileage. Plus if you change to a 727 you'll have to change your driveshaft or pay to have it cut down and balanced which you wouldn't do if you keep a 904 in the car. Just my .02

Thanks soooooo much for your .02!!!!

I already have the 727 AND my goal is to beef up the 318. I certainly understand about mileage, but as terrible as it sounds, I don't care about mileage since it's not every day driver AND I WANT some MUSCLE...LOL!!!

But then I come full circle because I'm probably going to have to put off the swap for a WHILE ... :thumbdow: I TRIED my damnedest to win last night's powerball. That would have solved all of my problems.

Have a great day!

OK...my head is going to EXPLODE...LOL!!

We have a local mechanic that is a former Chrysler mechanic AND he doesn't over charge. BUT I'll run all of this by my husband who knows a lot more than me. He's reluctant to work on transmission since he doesn't have a lot of experience and knowledge about them.

I was very timid about tearing into my 904. Not anymore they are so easy it is ridiculous. Took it apart in about 1 hour. Assembly takes a little longer finding the correct seals etc that comes in the kit. It is seriously a Piece of cake. If you can build Legos you can do a Trans easily. Building an engine is 10 times harder than doing a Torqueflite Trans for damn sure.

I was very timid about tearing into my 904. Not anymore they are so easy it is ridiculous. Took it apart in about 1 hour. Assembly takes a little longer finding the correct seals etc that comes in the kit. It is seriously a Piece of cake. If you can build Legos you can do a Trans easily. Building an engine is 10 times harder than doing a Torqueflite Trans for damn sure.

The biggest problem that we have is SPACE to work in. We have a 2 car garage and have tried to optimize the area but ....

There's a small strip of land behind our house that I'd LOVE to try to buy but I'm sure our neighborhood association would have a cow. Of well, I love my house too much to move!

My husband said he loves me but not enough to lay on his back under my little car for the transmission, so I guess it's the local mechanic for me!

I never did one but after looking at this article I'd give it a shot. http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/5123_904_three_speed_automatic_transmission_build/

Thanks soooooo much for your .02!!!!

I already have the 727 AND my goal is to beef up the 318. I certainly understand about mileage, but as terrible as it sounds, I don't care about mileage since it's not every day driver AND I WANT some MUSCLE...LOL!!!

Have a great day!

Understood. Have a great week

After getting a ROUGH estimate of $950-$1,100 to rebuild the transmission, my husband is NOW willing to teach me!!! We're going to rearrange the garage and build another workbench so we'll have more room to work.

Any recommendations on reference materials and/or tips, tricks AND secrets are GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

I would get two books. The ATSG 904/727 book and The 727 Torqueflite by Carl Munroe. I know you have a 904 but the two transmissions are so close, the 727 book is a huge help. I would think those would be all you will need. They are great resources. They are both on Ebay.

After getting a ROUGH estimate of $950-$1,100 to rebuild the transmission, my husband is NOW willing to teach me!!! We're going to rearrange the garage and build another workbench so we'll have more room to work.

Any recommendations on reference materials and/or tips, tricks AND secrets are GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

ATSG puts out manuals that are a close copy of the factory service manual which is one of the best stock trans. rebuild manuals you'll find. You can find the ATSG manuals on Amazon, just search ATSG 904. I also have a video a buddy sent me that shows a complete tear down, inspection and rebuild. It's kinda length but real in depth and perfect for someone just starting out. I already have 30 yrs. experience rebuilding them but I thought what the heck, I might pick up some tricks I don't know about so I've been watching it. Should be done by Thursday and I can send it to you if you like. If that interests you PM me with your name and address and I'll get it headed your way Friday.

I would get two books. The ATSG 904/727 book and The 727 Torqueflite by Carl Munroe. I know you have a 904 but the two transmissions are so close, the 727 book is a huge help. I would think those would be all you will need. They are great resources. They are both on Ebay.

LOL, you beat me to the draw Rob... I didn't mention Munroe's book even though it's probably the best out there because I figured she is needing more of a stock type rebuild. But it is a great resource also.

-
Back