Not happy with my new axles

-

Rodzilla

Reaction score
Installed my 489 case with brand new Auburn sure-grip and 4.30:1 gears. Spend several hrs on my Wilwood instructions installing disk brakes and axel on passenger side. Confused at first cause tard who installed bearing put the original retainer ring on axle, luckily with the snap ring stylegreen bearings you can get that off. So I get the passenger side all finished and buttoned up, leaving the drivers side fot the next day. Thinking now I know what I'm doing it should be a cinch to finish up the job,,,,BUT no! My "stock" length replacement Moser axles are to frigging long! So I cant get the drivers side in all the way, about 3/8" short. NOT happy!! I ordered these axles from Bill Reilly along with my Street Lynx 4-link and my AlterKtion. I never came across anything in the instructions about needing to leave out the center spacer in the diff so axles would fit. I already have the flippin rear end all sealed up, axle retainer and caliper on passenger side RED loctited as per instructions. My only option to not disassemble is to cut the drivers side axle down, leaving me with barely an inch of spline inserted into the diff, I'm sure thats not good. Friggin pissed about this,,,,rant over!!

When you install disc or the big drum brakes you have to get the slightly longer axle (it's on mosers website, they are bbp and allow you to mount those brake ups). Also you take that center piece out when you install green bearings. That piece in the center is used when you use the tapered adjustable bearings.

I would give Bill a call, he is a pretty stand up guy. I'm sure he will help figure out where things went wrong. He isn't one that lets sales go south and get a bad rep.

From the research I've done, that center spacer is removed with green bearings. Also, I've heard of several members having to remove ~1/4"-3/8" on new moser axles to make them fit, but I believe some of them were mistaken and had not removed the spacer.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Not going to call Bill cause theres nothing he can do for me,,,I can whine to him not giving me the heads up about what needs to be done to remedy the situation before it happens but that won't help. I yanked my axle and going to drop case and pull spacer.....Grrrr. I just needed to whine, its annoying is all, when you sell stuff that you know needs mods from factory,,,mention it and save a newbie some time. I hate doing stuff twice. I actually read directions multiple times to save myself from re-do's. Not 100% effective but it has helped alot. Cheers

I hear you on that. It always helps to vent.

I'm actually about to install green bearings on the 8-3/4" in my Roadrunner, so this helped me out alot. Thank you for that.

-Mike

Don't worry we all have those issues, I think I have done everything on my Duster twice.
I would just not feel right if it went together the first time.

I feel for you.
''Bolt ins'' are never truely that unless you are going stock.

It always seemed that everything has to be fitted even when it should have just bolted together. You just can't be in a hurray because this kind of thing happens all to often. Its part of the hobby I guess. I remember turning my 408 stroker crank after installing the kit (crank,rods and pistons) only to find out that the pistons hit the crank throws. Nobody would own up to the problem and I paid for machining and rebalancing. Fun.

It always seemed that everything has to be fitted even when it should have just bolted together. You just can't be in a hurray because this kind of thing happens all to often. Its part of the hobby I guess. I remember turning my 408 stroker crank after installing the kit (crank,rods and pistons) only to find out that the pistons hit the crank throws. Nobody would own up to the problem and I paid for machining and rebalancing. Fun.

Ya, patience is a virtue in this hobby. Even though I'm not in a rush my blood boils from time to time over stupid things. Whether someone else's fault or my own. Shouldn't let it get to me,,lol

Yep, that spacer got me too.

It's all better now.

Whats the proceedure to remove it. I was going to practice on my original case but I better ask for tips here as well. Can I remove my sure-grip and ring gear and then remove spacer then re-install with out messing up my freshly assembled case (ie back lash) ? I would think so but I could be wrong, as long as pinion depth and adjusters on ends of sure-grip unit aren't messed with? Just unbolt and bolt back in, but then again I don't know what has to be taken apart to get that spacer out.

-
Back