Not happy with new booster.

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Bought a new 8" dual diaphram booster from Jegs.

Got it intalled this morning and took it out for a ride.

Stops the car fine, better than old booster that would bleed off vacume and then leave you standing on the pedal to get the car stopped.

Anyway the new booster seems to have a tight spot when you first step on the pedal. You have to give little leg pressure to get past the tight spot, then the pedal travels about 1-1/2 inch quickly and then, bang, your on the brakes too hard.
So its like every time you step on the brakes, you get a big jerk, because your hitting the pedal to hard after it moves past this tight spot.
Almost like the linkage is binding but I dont see how it could be.
Is the tightness in the booster? will it go away after a few long drives?
I'm stumped, but not very happy, I know the wife is going to ***** first time she rides in it, because i'm being so jerky with the brakes.
Any ideas ?

Talk to Jegs about it and see what they say, as that is not normal.
They might need to send you a different one.

As far as your wife not liking it, there are a few solutions for that but I'll spare ya the ribbing. :D

Trailbeast, I think that's the first time I've seen you hold back.

get a manual pushrod and try it without the booster, sooo much better

Well just got off the phone with jeg's.

Guy named "Ronny" with an indian accent. Hmmm

So the deal is, they wouldn't send me a new one, till they get the old one back. Which sucks because I had paid 2nd day air to get this thing here and installed by the weekend. (biggest cruise of the year is tomorrow night).

So he couldn't send one send one out today for saturday delivery cause he say's fedex doesn't deliver to my area on saturday. (monkey shi&$$%&$*&)

The best they could do is they refunded my 2nd day air. They will refund the purchase price when they get the bad one back.
Only way to get another one on the way to me, was for me to "Buy" another one, that will ship today, free shipping but I wont have it till wednesday. And he will send or email me a shipping label for the bad one so I can drop it at a fedex location for return.

So the new booster got here wednesday, the booster works great, but its missing parts.

Specifically theres suppost to be a nylon bushing where the push rod connects to the brake pedal. At least there was a bushing there on the first booster. This one is missing it. So there is slop between pushrod and the bolt that holds it to the brake pedal.

Not sure how to proceed, like I say the booster works great, feels much better than the first one. But I'm sure if I call Jegs about the missing bushing, they will just tell me to return the whole thing for replacement. Well when I returned the first one they said they only had 1 other in stock, which they sent me already. They wont have the bushing, they just sell the thing, not manufacture it.

I tried taking the bolt and the pushrod to the local bearing-bushing supply place. They measured the parts and said they didnt have anything even close cause they were weird sizes.

So, not sure of my next move,
Call Jegs and return it, then look for a 7/8" bore master and just go manual brakes.
Call Jegs and return it and buy the same booter kit from another supplier
Stuff a bomb under the booster and blow it to bits, and send the bits back to Jegs..

I dont know

If you chose the last option PLEASE post a video of it.....Sucks you are having so much trouble.....

Trailbeast, I think that's the first time I've seen you hold back.

Just saw this.

The first time you have seen it maybe. :D
Did you happen to see the post where the guy said his passenger side suspension was always sagging and I told him to quit dating fat girls?

He got kinda pissed and said his wife was obese, and that what I said was extremely rude.

I held back then too. :D

On the booster subject,
That sucks, but I'm sure someone has something you can use somewhere here.
Might even have to go to Ace hardware and get one of thier nylon bushings from the nut and bolt section and then sit down with a moto tool and "Git er Done"
Done that before for window track rollers.

On the booster subject,
Might even have to go to Ace hardware and get one of thier nylon bushings from the nut and bolt section and then sit down with a moto tool and "Git er Done"
Done that before for window track rollers.

Thats what I was hoping i'd find at the bearing supply place, something I could modify. I'll try the Ace hardware thing and see if they have something I can modify for my use.

Thats what I was hoping i'd find at the bearing supply place, something I could modify. I'll try the Ace hardware thing and see if they have something I can modify for my use.

Have you looked for or seen a pic of what you need?

Try NAPA they will have something that will work. I am not a big fan of jegs but that's me.

Trailbeast,

you put an idea in my head with your comment about a window track roller.

Well I just happend to have couple of window track rollers, (old mustang I think)
Anyway I got to work and was able to make what I needed

Heres a pic of what I started with, and the finished bushing.

Attachments

• S5004828.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 184
  • S5004827.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 208
Trailbeast,

Well I just happend to have couple of window track rollers, (old mustang I think)

That setup on the rod looks like a power top ram bushing too! hmmmm I'm going to scavenge them off my old rams befor I toss them.

THANKS!

Trailbeast,

Cool. glad my babbling helped someone. :D

It looks like your Jegs booster might use a GM-type booster w/ threaded rod, like the $170 ones some have bought on ebay. I suspect your problem is due to simply the length of the rod between the booster and MC. Is there an adjustable nut there, like many boosters have? If not, could you add a spacer? I think it needs a slight slop, so that the booster valve opens and the booster activates before you start trying to move the piston in the MC. It sounds like what is happening now is that you are initially moving the MC piston w/o boost and then the booster kicks in. You probably have a really stiff hydraulic side, with minimal gap before the pads and shoes contact, which is good.

Can you post a picture of your booster when its installed in the car please ?

-
Back