Not holding pressure.

-

VonCramp

Reaction score
I have been trying to bleed the brakes on my 69 Cuda. They pump up great, but as soon as I walk away from the car the pressure goes away and peddle goes right back to the floor. I have all new brakes with 73 Duster conversion. I am using the stock Cuda pushrod.

Sounds like either there is still air in the system for some reason, or the master cylinder is bad.

The only other thing I can think of is that your rear drums have wheel cylinders without the expander cups and the master cylinder doesn't have a residual pressure valve. That is fairly unlikely unless the wheel cylinders are ancient.

Me and my wife bled them until I quit getting air out of the calipers. I put a new master cylinder on today thinking that was the problem. I can hear what sounds like air hissing by the back of the master cylinder.

I am definitely hearing air escape from the back of the master cylinder. I noticed the master cylinder does not fully cover the opening in the firewall as well. Should the master cylinder be seated against the firewall with some sort of gasket? When I left off of the peddle is when I can hear the hissing of air or pressure escaping by the master cylinder. Thank y'all very much for the help! I love this sight!

On your disc brake conversion to the 73 parts, which way did you mount the calipers, facing front, or the rear?
Make sure your bleeder screws on the calipers are facing upwards, or you will never bleed the air out of them.
Just something to point out to you in your troubleshooting of the problem.

On your disc brake conversion to the 73 parts, which way did you mount the calipers, facing front, or the rear?
Make sure your bleeder screws on the calipers are facing upwards, or you will never bleed the air out of them.
Just something to point out to you in your troubleshooting of the problem.
My first thought also. Calipers on wrong side of car.

It looks as if I installed them incorrectly (backwards). This is due in part to the autoparts selling me a passenger side for the driver's side. In the current configuration the bleeders are closest to the rear part of fender. In the manual photo it shows the bleeders close to the front part of fender.

-
Back