Not Looking Like a Factory P/S Hose Arrangement

-

dibbons

Reaction score
The engine block in in the '65 Formula S is a 1980 318 and the Federal p/s pump is of unknown origin.

This '65 has some strange p/s plumbing. The steering column has the original gold paint, but it looks like a bolt is being used it place of what I thought was normally a pin. The return hose is adapted to a smaller size and the pressure side looks like two different hoses kind of "spliced" together.

p:s hodgepodge 6.JPG

p:s hodgepodge 1.JPG

p:s hodgepodge 5.JPG

p:s hodgepodge 2.JPG

p:s hodgepodge 4.JPG

p:s hodgepodge 3.JPG

Can't help w/coller pin issue but the rest seems standard issue. The factory pressure hose is a two-step affair designed to reduce internal turbulence, yours looks correct. The low pressure return hose on yours has been modified. These boxes have two different hose sizes and yours has been adapted from the larger one down to the smaller one. Probably you will need to replace the box's top valve hose adapter (just the end fitting that adapts to the hose) which will reduce the hose size to mate to your pump fitting. Then you should be good.

Yup, pressure hose and column look correct, but, I can't see the return line fitting on the pump reservoir. It should be the same size as the one on the steering box.

Considering where you are and the availability of parts, I'd be temped to just braze a 5/8" fitting in place of the 3/8" one and call it a day, assuming the pump, brackets, and pulley are correct and working properly. You may have to remove the reservoir to do it, so, try to get a reseal kit for the pump, or at least an "O" ring for the reservoir.

I'll probably hook things up as they are first, just to see if everything is operational; fine tuning/changes some time down the line.

-
Back