Not my A body, but winter Sebring

-

jwh70valiant

Reaction score
Today I had the tires of my winter car, a 2004 Chrysler Sebring, rotated. I would have done it my self but without a garage in snow land, that can be interesting. Anyway, after the rotation, there is a loud thumping noise when breaking or accelerating at low speeds. Once the car picks up speed, it goes away. It is aligned straight and doesn't shake. The car didn't do this before the rotation. Any thoughts would be appreciated! :banghead:

Lug nuts not torqued in the correct pattern and spec. It can warp the rotors that way. Or the rims are not centered on the hub.

I guess I'll do what I should have done in the first place and take it to a dealership. It seems every single independent shop here is incompetent! I've never had this problem before, usually the small shops are where you want to go, imo.

WHOA, No Dealership,....Feel your tires, I betcha dollars to donuts they are featheredged,...Put your tires back where they were and then either swap them from side to side,...or leave em, they will eventually wear down and get quieter,....very common in front drive cars,....and make sure you got at least 35 in the front and 32 in the rear,....there is lots here I don't know about, but this particular problem, I'm about 99.99 % sure of.

Before you take it anywhere, Check the lugs and tire pressure. I generally run about 5# less psi, than what the max cold inflated pressure is on the tires. I have been doing this for years and never had a problem. I agree with the above comments. Do as mentioned above and drive it for a while before taking it back in.

Watched my boss put wheel bearings in his ride caused thats what the garage told him, still had the same prob.

Place your flat palm on a tire, slide your palm clockwise over the tread, then slide your palm counterclockwise. One direction will feel smooth and the other will feel grabby as your hand slides over the tread,...thats featheredging or cupping. At the least you'll have noisy tires, At the worst you'll need a pair of tires. A tire shop will try to sell you tires. I'm guessing It's been a while since you rotated em. Scheduled rotation will prevent this.

Recommended rotation puts the rears on the front, same side, and puts the fronts in the rear, but x'ed to the back. But if they are real bad, your better off just swappin side to side, meaning keep the fronts in front and the rears in back.

I checked the tires. there is no sign of uneven wearing. The lugs are all tight; I don't own a torque wrench. My concern was I don't want to warp the rotors. But then, This car goes back into storage around April and I'll be back to driving my Duster everyday :cheers:

I'll check the itre pressure in the morning and see if they are over inflated. Also, a side note, I noticed on the front bolt for the spring is pretty close to the tire. I've never seen this on a car before, but then I've never had a newer car before.

When I mentioned tightening wrong and possibly warping a rotor I mean loosen them all and retighten in a star pattern. If you dont use the star pattern it can warp a rotor.

-
Back