Not sure what I am seeing on this cam

-
On the oiling... Cam lobes are only oiled by splash. Oil fining up off the crank predominantly. So I doubt it is an oiling issue. Also, it could be that there is no problem they just look iffy. As was posted... show a clear pic of the lifter face from that lobe. If that looks good then there really wasnt a problem other than the appearance.

so then wouldn't a crank scraper and windage tray be bad? i mean i know to keep oil off of the crank=less weight/rotating mass but if it means reduced cam oiling?!?! also blocking off the holes abve the cam?

i a little confused...

so then wouldn't a crank scraper and windage tray be bad? i mean i know to keep oil off of the crank=less weight/rotating mass but if it means reduced cam oiling?!?! also blocking off the holes abve the cam?

i a little confused...

Not necessarily, the purpose of the windage tray is to direct the oil coming off the crank down the sides of the oil pan, because of the slots on the side of the tray, and out the back and front of the tray. Also the crank creates a strong enough wind hence windage that it will actually try drawing oil up from the pan into it. The windage tray and to a lesser degree the crank scraper largely prevents a lot of that happening therefore cutting down on friction and foaming of the oil which is another problem. There is still lots of oil being sprayed upwards off the crank which finds it's way to the cam lobes and lifter faces. When people are talking about blocking off holes or restricting the oil feed galley to the sides of the lifters it's sometimes because of a switch over to roller lifters which do not need the same amount of oil as a hydraulic flat tappet. Notice I said sometimes.:-D

Terry

This happens when the lifters do not rotate, check the lifters by pulling them out of the bores and see if you ccan rotate the with your fingers. If there is sludge and burnt on oil deposits this make them stick.

I still have the NEW Mopar 509 cam and tapper set 4-sale...

The engine sits on the stand, and I've been in conversation with the shop who will be building the engine, finally got around to pricing, and it's within my budget, so I'm going to go roller, cam/lifters/rockers, when I get it built.

Only thing is, I won't be taking it to the builder until late next year, as I have so much to do, and do not want it sitting around getting dirty/rusty/condensation in it while I finish the body/interior. so, I'll try and time the engine to getting close to completion of the other projects within the beast so I can have it on the road early 2011(May/June)

FF

-
Back