Not what you want to see...

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
...when you're several miles up!
A Southwest Airlines 737 lost part of an engine somewhere between New Orleans and Orlando. The flight diverted to Pensacola, FL, and landed safely.

SWA1.jpg
SWA2.jpg

That is a less than perfect situation

Hmm inlet came apart. Look at the aluminum honeycomb composite. Looks like the engine compressor fan is intact, though i bet the inlet chunks FODDed the engine out.

Yep thats the big problem with composites. They dont give any failure warning indications until they let go. But when they let go its usually a pretty big failure.

Pilots train intensively for one engine landings, and twin engined airliners are rated with enough thrust to climb out and maintain flight with 1 engine inop.

However losing an inlet like that i bet that ***** was constantly trying to yaw hard to the left.

I work on em, but i dont fly on em. TSA sucks is the main reason why. A number of years ago right after 9/11, an America Airlines airbus went down. The NTSB ruled out terrorism, and attributed the crash to the pilots doing a rudder hard over in flight. This was a severe over extension of the rudder flight surface into the wind stream. It over stressed the composite and ripped the rudder off the aircraft. I dont remember exactly what caused them to over extend the rudder like that, it could have been a failure of the AFU, "artificial feel unit" this allows artificial feel into the cockpit controls that you dont normally have with hydraulically assisted flight controls making the controls harder to move the farther you deflect them. Thus adding "feel" to them.

Think power steering and manual steering. Manual steering gives you more feedback, power steering is numb and isolated. Moving flight controls would be impossible on large airliners without power assist, however it takes all the feel out. The AFU adds it back.

Last edited:
remind to take an aisle seat next time...I do NOT want to stare out the window the entire flight at the spot where the engine used to be

With 30,000 CFM56 engines in the air, I guess a failure every so often is inevitable. Glad everyone was all right. Flight crew did a great job bringing it home safely!

I fly 737's for a different carrier.....an engine failure is a bad day, but if it's gotta happen I'd rather it happen at cruise at 36000' rather than on takeoff roll, max gross weight, at 165KTS, with 1 mile to stop it or choose to peel that pig off the ground. In all, sounds like a fantastic job by the SW crew. BZ

Hmm inlet came apart. Look at the aluminum honeycomb composite. Looks like the engine compressor fan is intact, though i bet the inlet chunks FODDed the engine out.

Yep thats the big problem with composites. They dont give any failure warning indications until they let go. But when they let go its usually a pretty big failure.

Pilots train intensively for one engine landings, and twin engined airliners are rated with enough thrust to climb out and maintain flight with 1 engine inop.

However losing an inlet like that i bet that ***** was constantly trying to yaw hard to the left.

I work on em, but i dont fly on em. TSA sucks is the main reason why. A number of years ago right after 9/11, an America Airlines airbus went down. The NTSB ruled out terrorism, and attributed the crash to the pilots doing a rudder hard over in flight. This was a severe over extension of the rudder flight surface into the wind stream. It over stressed the composite and ripped the rudder off the aircraft. I dont remember exactly what caused them to over extend the rudder like that, it could have been a failure of the AFU, "artificial feel unit" this allows artificial feel into the cockpit controls that you dont normally have with hydraulically assisted flight controls making the controls harder to move the farther you deflect them. Thus adding "feel" to them.

Think power steering and manual steering. Manual steering gives you more feedback, power steering is numb and isolated. Moving flight controls would be impossible on large airliners without power assist, however it takes all the feel out. The AFU adds it back.
I believe I remember this on Air Crash Investigations. If correct the co-pilot was PIC at the time and he was being very aggressive with the rudder controls during some good turbulence. Weren't there 2 incidents of this failure?

-
Back