Not your average slant six vs 318 showdown

-

lud

Reaction score
So Saturday (may 20th 2023) I'm going to go buy and pickup a 1985 318 out of a Dodge d150 pickup 146k to put in my 1982 d150 pickup with a 225 slant six from 1963 75k, A833 OD, 3.23 gears, truck weighs 3920lbs and is sitting on p235 75r 15 grippy jeep lookin tires. The slant six has had all EGR removed, the intake was swapped for a 2 barrel with a carter hightop bbd, the exaust is a custom set of headers, all the electronics and everything have been tweaked and replaced, the slant is running better than it ever will without dumping loads of money into it. So now my question, is a stock 318 from 85 better? If I just got it and threw it in my truck, would it be better? Better being faster, more spontaneous go go power. I've talked to a few mechanics I know and I've been told yes, my uncle is a older chrysler diesel mechanic who has own a plethora of square body dodges, 4 of which have had the 318 in them. He told me he had a 79 4x4 3/4 ton with a 318 and all it had done to it was a 4 barrel and he had 38inch tires and it did just fine roasting em. Ofc he had 411 gears. But my slant won't even spin the tires on a dirt road. Just looking for opinions. And the reason this isn't your average slant vs teen talk, is because I belive my slant was the best year they made and is modified enough where it should hold its own against a stock 318...

Even if it slightly better is it worth the swap?
If it were a magnum 5.2 with a roller cam I would say yes. A stock 85 2 barrel? No.

If the 318 2bbl is "up to snuff" - as in has good compression and all, it will outperform the /6 with a 2bbl and header.

A 318 is gonna make more power in the most important driving rpm's 1000-3500 rpm than a /6, displacement makes the biggest difference in that range.

I have done the "yank the /6 and drop a 318 in" before. I didn't have a donor truck, the318 I got then, came out of a 69 charger, that was an automatic trans car (my truck was a stick) so I had to find a truck pan, truck oil pickup screen, truck mounts, V8 radiator, and more.
I now have another/6 truck, and again I don't have a donor v8 truck around so it would have been the same wild goose chase only harder because these trucks are now"old" and not as plentiful as they were then.
So this time what I did have was another /6 (albeit I got it as a basket case) but if I kept the /6 I could avoid the wild goose chase. So I built up the basket case pile of /6 parts e added a few more goodies to basically build a better /6. Didn't have to buy any of the conversion to v8 parts so less headache there, and the money I saved went a long way towards my overhaul and build up. I'm hoping my /6now equals or does better than it would have, had I started with a stock 318 of the same year

But I'd rather have a 318 over a 360...... At least stock-wise. There are all the 318 bashers which I do don't "get"..... Stock 360s are low compression turds

Just swap to the 318. You've more than one thread about this. Just do it.

But I'd rather have a 318 over a 360...... At least stock-wise. There are all the 318 bashers which I do don't "get"..... Stock 360s are low compression turds
I get both side, just don't get the bashing, idc if someone wants a 300+ hp NA 2.2l it's all good 2.0l-572+ whatever people want but there is really zero advantages to do 318 over 360 maybe mpg.

In my case it's been real world day to day experience with both engines....
I do have a 360 build in my mind to fix one the right way... But then it wouldn't be stock no more.

My biggest question and in my mind the 360s biggest handicap is the ultra poor low compression ratio. Why did they castrate every 360 they've built to date with dished pistons and compound it with huge combustion chambers?
I know most 318s the pistons aren't level with the deck at TDC but at least they're flat topped.

Last edited:
Should you swap out the slant 6 ?

Yes !

Unless you are thinking of putting in an air-cooled 1600 vw engine, just about anything will outperform the slant

I'll take a teen over a /6 any day and get the same mpg or better and mo fun!

This 318 is in a truck too? So you'll have 2 trucks at least for a while? What shape are they in? Keep em both!

-
Back