not your typical pinion angle post

-

Baxter61

Reaction score
So my understanding is pinion angle is the difference in angle between the driveshaft and the pinion. Stop me there if im wrong. With that said, is there an ideal angle of drivesjaft to ground you want and adjust the pinion angle around that? Is changing the rear pitch of the tranny tailshaft housing an acceptable way of changing pinion angle?

Yup, you are correct. Generally, for a street car, 3-5* nose down works well. Nose down means the pinion nose down in relation to the drive shaft angle, not nose down in relation to the ground. The MP suspension book says 5-7* for a hot street/race car.

Got to love two very different responses right off the bat. That is not uncommon when talking pinion angle. The Rossler Trans way has nothing to do with drive shaft angle. LOL... But it's my understanging that is the correct way to set it.

I believe the goal is your trying to get the harmonic vibrations out of the drive line more than trying to set a perfect strait line between the drive shaft and pinion under hard acceleration.

Of course I'm no expert I could be wrong.

My understanding as not to get anyone going crazy. Not anyone currently in this thread.

Driveshaft to rear u-joint/pinion is u-joint operating angle.

Trans tail to pinion is pinion angle I've done it in almost every case.

I've had some strange ones that didn't like the rossler description and needed the DS to pinion done instead.

Well, whichever.....but the description I actually like the best is in the MP suspension book....although they recomend 5-7* which I think is a bit strong for a street only car.

Im sure theres more than one way to tackle the problem, Both of my bracket cars and pro mod cars are set up basically how the rossler diagram shows without any problem.

The pro mod car should have 0.0 or it's not right, as should any race car, anything at 4000 shouldn't have more than 4 degrees, after that the joint can not deal with oscillation speeds.

Pinion and trans angle needs to be alleviated as the shaft rpm increase. For a DD the rossler diagram is ok, and up to 5 degrees is ok because shaft rpm with the rossler set up won't exceed 4000 rpm, and most likely not long...

If you are doing anything performance you want 0.0 under load and then you don't look at rossler diagrams anymore.

Having any angle in a pro mod shaft is entirely to much for the operating angle which needs to be 0

So is there an optimum tailshaft to ground angle or driveshaft to ground angle or is it all just relative? Is raising the tailshaft acceptable to change the relationship or is there something wrong that im missing?

The front angle is more involved to change, for the rear i would measure the shaft angle and i take it it's a factory leaf spring, i would make the pinion angle at rest 5 degrees opposite the shafts angle negatively, so when under power you're trying to get to 0 degrees, you'll be off a bit, but trying to is the objective...

-
Back