Notching the crossmember for exhaust clearance

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone on the board have some suggestions and maybe some pics so I can get some ideas?

I had Midas install dual exhaust, under my 1964 Valiant.

I do not have a "dual notched" crossmember,
I have no major problems with speed bumps etc,
for ground clearance.

There is one driveway near me, that when I exit one of the pipes touches,
but my 1981 Imperial hits worse at the same place,
and my neighbors 1998 Accord really bottoms out.

I am using 2 1/4" pipes.

All you should have to do is figure out where the pipe is going to run, and notch it there. I would run the pipe in an area that is not criticle for strenght, and after you notch it you should reinforce around the notch, by welding in a gusset for added strenght. You might have to put an extra bend or two in your pipe.

Dave C.

tti has instructions with dimensions on how to notch the crossmember. I did it myself and it was easy. Just call them, I'm sure they would email you the instruction sheet.

heres is what i did on my 66 barracuda,,,

notch the cross member,,,but keeping in mind ,,not to destroy the piece you are cutting out,,,cut it out in a half circular cut ,,in one piece take that piece you just cut out,,turn in up-side down,re-insert it in the area you removed it from weld it back in,,, now you havre a notch for the pipe and a complete uncut cross member,,,
hold a piece of pipe up against the cross member,,make the cut a little bigger then the pipe is round,,

This is what I did on my 65 Cuda. On the Cross member it's self I cut a large enough hole so I could weld in a peice of 3 inch exhaust pipe, and then I streched it to fill a 3.5 inch opening to give a little more room. I plan on running 2.5 inch exhaust. My car originally did rub the exhaust when I had the 2.5 run under the x-member, but my car did sit low.
And now I have no exhaust, as I havn't got the new motor in yet! :toothy7:

trans mcar.JPG

transmount.jpg

transmount1.JPG

-
Back