'Nother one of my Nutty Steering Ideas'

-

archlab

Reaction score
Since I've found that there are some later (like 1990s & up) parts that swap onto A-Bodies pretty well (such as the smaller, lightweight starters from an Intrepid, a Jeep Rear end for Rear Discs, or a Denso Alternator (w/ minimal mods) or even a GM HEI distributor) I thought about the topic of Steering.

Most of the aforementioned ideas don't seem to be 'main-stream' among us A-Body guys, but lo-&-behold, they work pretty well & get us a little closer to making our 1960s-70s tech...well, 1975-1985 cars.

So, as I'm (once again!) doing the standard, long & drawn-out Mopar parts procurement process for what should be a simple click & ship process (If you had a mustang or Camaro, it would be...plus cheaper...OK, OK I know, I know), I got to thinking:

Are there any compatible Steering component or even complete system swaps worth considering. Generally, I'm trying to go to Manual Steering, but probably most of the 1990s-up systems are Power Steering. But that's OK, they're probably very good by 1960s-70s standards.

I'm not really talking about Rack & Pinon (although I'd love it), but rather: Is there, say a 2001 Jeep, or Ram, or ??? Steering Box setup that would work well & not be too much of a project to swap into an A-Body?

ANyway, Igot most of the 'aforementioned ideas' from FABO, so I look again to FABO-neers.

Sharpen U pencils & shoot!

Cool ideas. On my 65 Dart, I have a Breeze brake booster/master cylinder, a Jeep power distribution center, and a RAM truck starter and pwr steering cooler. I didn't know the Intrepid starter fits. The starters on my 2 Mopar minivans look similar but are different. I also thought that HEI was a mod to a Mopar distributor, not that a GM distributor bolts up.

Truck steering gears are probably no improvement over a Dart. They are big and heavy, and I don't know that they even offered manual steering after ~1990. It is enough problem getting other Dart steering parts to fit, given the different linkages, that I wouldn't consider trucks until Dart parts become impossible. Plenty of power gears available as people change to the "getting rare" manual boxes, plus 73+ gears are identical to all C-bodies.

Rack and pinion sounds attractive since they appear light and give good feeling. However, I understand the hydraulic pressures are higher, so you might need to mount one of those pumps (not trivial). Of course, it might work acceptably at the lower pressure of a Dart pump's output. Most likely it would require much custom fab to make frame attachment points and to match the distance to the steering arms. There are after-market designs that involve a complete new engine cradle ($$$$). My guess is it would be hard to find space going across a longitudinal engine/tranny. In all FWD cars I have seen, the rack and pinion is behind the engine/tranny and well above the oil pan. Still, they used them in BMW RWD's decades ago and the Intrepid has a longitudinal engine, so maybe look those over at a junkyard.

I like the sound of what you've done on yours. Regarding the HEI distributor - I think you're right, but I think I heard of an HEI distributor made just for Mopars. I believe that one is a new development. But that's my non-steering tangent.

As for a later model manual steering box, the only thing I can think of that comes close would be a 1980's M-Body (Fury/Diplomat/5th Ave). Those ARE great cars to pull all kinds of stuff off of - Brakes, especially. I always liked the 8.25" Rear Ends, Electrical, Cooling & A/C for starters. Probably even more things, such as Tilt-Wheel Steering columns. Shoot! Even those plush, handcrafted velour seats & the big 'ol square 'temple' chromed grille might even have a place (if one wanted to build a pimp-mobile).

I used to have a 91 s10 with manual steering and the turning radius was awesome. I don't know how hard it would be to make it work for an a body though.

I used to have a 91 s10 with manual steering and the turning radius was awesome. I don't know how hard it would be to make it work for an a body though.

Steering radius is not entirely in the steering box, although it must be capable of twisting the spindles far enough.

I once had a 63 Falcon Ranchero at the same time I still had my 70 RR. I used to visit a friend on a local curbed paved street. The RR would handily U turn between the curbs, the Falcon would not.

-
Back