Now I think I got a bad new filter. Help

-

'73 Root Beer

Reaction score
So got Root Beer home. Changed fuel filter, same Wix brand as last time.

Last time filter filled with gas as fast as I can plug it in.

This time barely any fuel flows into and then stopped filling halfway.

Car runs, but starved for fuel under excelleration.

Should I hook up air and blow my fuel lines? Or try a different filter?

I posted earlier today about a fuel hesitation. Happened at Freeway crusing speed.
That was with old filter that was full to brim.:banghead:

I had a 68 Chrysler that kept starving for fuel. Did all the basics, fuel filter, fuel pump. Ran flow test and would be good. Then a couple days later same problem. Turned out to be the " sock" filter in the tank at end of fuel pickup tube. Filter was completely varnished shut but seam had split. When it opened fuel ran through. Then sometimes would close and shut off fuel supply. Blowing air would be a temporary fix most likely...

Simple. They are not that expensive. Blow through it. What is your "gut?"

Cut it open and inspect

You are NOT I dearly hope, running a run of the mill inline filter on the INLET to the pump?

What is the Wix part no?

Check the rubber line between the tank and the steel line on the car for cracks as well as the sock in the tank. If your filter was "full to the brim" than there is a problem somewhere that needs to be corrected.

Running a wix 33002, yes it is inline.
18000 on new sending unit, float was bad.
Yes installed correctly for flow.
Gut says clogged/blocked fuel line.

Issue started before new filter. Fuel pump is pulling fuel, but could it have an intern issue?

I will now more tonight, after work when I pull filter off again.

When was the last time you looked at or changed the rubber sections in your line? Today's fuel will eat old line on the inside and clog it up. They do make lines now that are resistant to the ethanol in the fuel.

Running a wix 33002, yes it is inline.
18000 on new sending unit, float was bad.
Yes installed correctly for flow.
Gut says clogged/blocked fuel line.

Issue started before new filter. Fuel pump is pulling fuel, but could it have an intern issue?

I will now more tonight, after work when I pull filter off again.

That tells me it's not the new filter. You need to start looking at the rest of your fuel system.

I think bad Sport hit it. Ithink the internals of the rubber portion of the lines have seen their time. Being iahve only had the car since Oct 2012. I personally have not replaced those parts.

it seems to fit what is happening, placing the filter back inline and fuel not flowing, it is pushing the internal of the rubber and cloggin the line.

This is my hope anyway. As that was my plan this evening, to pull the rubber portions. Blow out the lines, install new rubber, and reinstall.

Now if only some idiot didn't fill his tank on the way home last night...DOH! But hey, if you running fuel starved and have a goofy gas gauge, whats the first this to do...Are you out of gas???

Another thought, after running the car for a bit, loosen your filler cap, do you hear a whoosh of air?

I have in the past, can remember hearing that filling the tank. Can't recall if I did yesterday though, being spun up about, the issue at hand. What are you thinking? Same thing, just a way to diagnose?

I'm saying after driving the car for a bit, when you remove the filler cap do you hear a rush of air?

If so, you may need to vent the tank, or check the vent if it has one.

If you are creating a vacuum, the pump won't be able to pull fuel like it should.

Think about a straw when you put your finger on one end and try sucking through it. No worky. :toothy7:

Just something to think about and look at.

Here's what I would do, change all of the rubber lines. While you have the short section off at the tank, blow compressed air from the front of the car (line), so it opposite of normal flow.

Put the gas cap on loosely and run it after the lines are replaced. If it runs good, tighten the cap and see if your problem returns, if so, then you have a venting issue.

There's only "so much stuff" in there

The sock in the tank

Gum, rust, junk, in the line / tube/ hoses

LEAKING line or hoses

Collapsed suction hoses

Or enough dirt knocked loose to plug a new filter

Or, something "else" went wrong AKA you picked that exact time to have the pump fail or gather a bunch of crud in the (one of the) pump valves

A common misconception is that a fuel filter should be completely filled with fuel or something is wrong.
This is not necessarily the case, as it is VERY common for a fuel filter to have a bubble of air in it unless it is standing vertical.

I'm not say there isn't a problem with the fuel supply, only that air in a filter is not a firm diagnosis of a problem.

A common misconception is that a fuel filter should be completely filled with fuel or something is wrong.
This is not necessarily the case, as it is VERY common for a fuel filter to have a bubble of air in it unless it is standing vertical.

I'm not say there isn't a problem with the fuel supply, only that air in a filter is not a firm diagnosis of a problem.

Well, LOL, "we" should not even be able to see it because we SHOULD be using metal filters, LOL

I am going to metal filter tonight as well. Should have never put the second plastic Wix on, after looking at the one I removed.

I like the plastic. :sign3:

Yes, they don't always fill up and work fine with half of it filled with air.

I went to plastic after making a HUGE MISTAKE.. :wack:

On my way back to school in Detroit from visiting my dad in Chicago, I filled up the tank of my 68 Barracuda and hit the road. I ran out of gas 43 miles into Michigan and walked to a gas station to call a tow truck to tow it back home... :-(

So get it towed back home, pull the engine and put another engine that was sitting in a parts car on the side of dad's house that hasn't ran in a few years (in two days). I go to start it and had trouble getting it started. Turns out - I was out of gas!!!! :-x :banghead:

I had the metal fuel filter on the car originally and could not see that it was out of gas. I didn't check to see if the car was out of gas, as I had filled it up before I left and could make it another 130 miles before needing more gas usually (the gas gauge was broken). So I spent $300 for the tow and changed my engine - all because I was out of gas.... :violent1:

Since then, I use a plastic filter so I can see if it is empty so I don't make the same stupid mistake again.... (That's "idiot proofing" for myself, because I can be an idiot sometimes...) :eye:

Maybe this is a story that I should keep to myself and not tell others....

:glasses7::burnout:

Well that was better than sitting behind a desk.

Pulled all rubber lines I could find.
Blew steel lines with pressured air for a good while, til I was bored of it.
Replaced with new rubber, and metal filter.
i figured I would have to turn it over a while, nope fired right up as normal!
Went for test drive and Root Beer pulls hard again. Made the dog sit down.
Did not need the fuel pump.

Thanks everybody for the thoughts, ideas, and a good laugh at KrazyKuda's expence.

I'll be holding on to the pump though. You just never know.

Thanks!

-
Back