Now what? Vinyl top install

-

Red383

Reaction score
The weather was nice yesterday so I decided to install my vinyl top on the Dart. I started spraying the glue, laid one half down and started working out the wrinkles, I was having some problems getting the wrinkles out on the back half of the roof. Then got a phone call and had to leave. Since I had to leave, I pulled the top back off so it wouldn’t adhere permanently with wrinkles.

Can anyone help me with my next steps? I am using the DAP Landau Top and Trim, Contact Cement. The instructions say “Over-dried adhesive may be reactivated by applying another thin coat of adhesive.” But also says “up to 2 hours Open time” So I think I am going to have to remove all of the dried glue from the roof to start over, but what about the glue on the vinyl?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

The weather was nice yesterday so I decided to install my vinyl top on the Dart. I started spraying the glue, laid one half down and started working out the wrinkles, I was having some problems getting the wrinkles out on the back half of the roof. Then got a phone call and had to leave. Since I had to leave, I pulled the top back off so it wouldn’t adhere permanently with wrinkles.

Can anyone help me with my next steps? I am using the DAP Landau Top and Trim, Contact Cement. The instructions say “Over-dried adhesive may be reactivated by applying another thin coat of adhesive.” But also says “up to 2 hours Open time” So I think I am going to have to remove all of the dried glue from the roof to start over, but what about the glue on the vinyl?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

View attachment 1716236927

View attachment 1716236928
I don't see an activator to be of any use after leaving it that long.

Here's a suggestion.

Take a small piece of scrap vinyl and coat it with the adhesive.

Take a small piece of metal and do the same.

Leave it for the same amount of time as you left your roof.

Try recoating the vinyl and the metal and see if they stick ok.

2nd suggestion:

Call them at 888-327-8477 and see if they can be of some help.

Cheers!

Good ideas, thanks.

Edit.
So I contacted DAP like Super-Cuda suggested (not sure why I didn't think about doing that, panic I guess)

They said I can add another thin layer of adhesive on top to re-stick the surfaces together, even if it has been days.

The "2 hour Open Time" is how long you have to stick the surfaces together before the adhesive is too dry to the point where you would need another layer of fresh adhesive

With that said, I guess I will follow his advice and give it another shot.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Update... I had a couple hours last night, so I re-started my vinyl top install. I laid the top back out, centered it on the roof, and folded the driver's half of it over to the passenger side. I lightly resprayed the existing glue and started in the middle, then smoothed it out from center to the ends. I did about 6" at a time, spray, then roll over and smooth out. Once I got to the seam on the driver's side, I moved over and did the same on the passenger side out to the seam.

The other day I spayed the whole driver's side and tried to do it all at once, I has having issues getting the wrinkles out. doing it 6" at a time seemed to work good (for me anyway), and so far it all appears to be stuck pretty good.

Question for anyone who has done this before, do I glue the area below the rear window next, or do I finish the sides and sail panels first and glue below the windows last?

Thanks

TOP.jpg

-
Back