NP435 Trans Swap Help

-
Only issue, NP435 trans is a little noisy in 2nd, a lot in 3rd, and quiet as can be in the rest.
It still drives along, does 80mph at 3k, just not a fan.
I used to rebuild manual transmissions for a living.
I have rebuilt probably hundreds of those 435s and even more transfer cases.
If yours is;
not jumping out of gear,
not grinding going into gear, and
not too slow to shift; then
all it needs are bearings, which are cheap and easy to change.

Altho, if it was mine, I'd convert to 2-wheel drive and
in goes the Mopar Loc-up overdrive. BUT, in all likelihood, if I did that,
the starter gear might need to be fine-tuned.

Nice looking truck.

EDIT
As far as manual transmissions go, this one is pretty simple. It would be really hard to muck it up. but they are heavy. I used to build 2>3 a day, start to finish, including those funky "inside-out" synchronizers, and repointing the clutch teeth.

But you're right, those transmissions had several different "farm-truck" type ratios. Some with a quick 1-2, some with a quick 3-4.
On the street, with regular height 29/30 tires , that granny-gear was near useless, making the trans more or less a 3-speed.
But I gotta say, coming up off the field with a 12/14 foot box loaded right up; granny gear was sometimes all some of those gass-farm-trucks, could pull, back in the 70s/80s.

However, those short 4th boxes might be nice for a 318 ..........
But I agree, if that granny-gear is useless, then it might be just as well to get rid of it. However, for you, the bigger issue, I feel, is that 3000@80 mph. Which points to the rear gear actually being a lil much....................... which would make it prime for a Mopar .69 overdrive which would bring it down
to 2100ish@ 80. That's a win/win; triple-win if the unit has a lock-up..

Last edited:
not jumping out of gear,
not grinding going into gear, and
not too slow to shift
Not jumping out.
Not grinding, but doesn't seem to be very smooth going into 3rd.
Not sure if it's too slow to shift, it's no A833, can't quickly run it through the gears, and there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between them.

Having zero experience with this trans doesn't help, but something seems off.

Only guy around here that can rebuild these, or even provide a diagnosis, is 70+ and in Florida until mid May.

I had a heck of a time finding someone to rebuild my pushbutton trans, no one would touch it, lucky to find one guy who could do it.
He doesn't do manual trans, but referred me to the other guy.

I have a couple of 4x4 727s. One is about a 78 and used the 203 full time tc. Another is in a 84 1/2 ton 4x4 with married tc. Another is about a 2000 1/2 ton

if that granny-gear is useless, then it might be just as well to get rid of it. However, for you, the bigger issue, I feel, is that 3000@80 mph. Which points to the rear gear actually being a lil much....................... which would make it prime for a Mopar .69 overdrive which would bring it down
to 2100ish@ 80.
I don't even use 1st, start in 2nd.
It is a ridiculous crawl gear, same as reverse.

3k @ 80 was a fluke in my mind, I don't need to do 80mph in this thing.

If a Mopar .69 OD is the same as the auto OD available that same year-ish, and is a direct bolt in, I'm game.
Kiss principle saves $.

Hey, I'm over 70 now too, lol.
No disrespect. My point was skilled individuals seem to be more scarce lately, and possibly no or few to take their place.
Case in point, a retired older gentleman created the seat covers for my 62 as they were not available anywhere.
The good news is I also had to make many of the interior parts myself, such as the dash pad, and learned some new skills myself.

No od on the 78. I'll check the others tomorrow in the sun lite and snow. Lol
The 84 does not have od. Transfer is bolted to the back of trans. It has a vacuum operated front axle engagement on the passenger side.
Please forgive me but I will check on the third transmission tomorrow during daylight.

Last edited:
Any other direct bolt in trans options?
I have an 84 here in my yard. It was born with a 360/727/ 8.25
I pulled all that out, when the engine started burning too much oil. I swapped in a 318 4bbl/ 904/2800 stall and an 8.75 so we could fool around with gears.

I still have that original powertrain. Not sure but I don't think I still have the driveshaft. You interested?

1974 was the last year for the divorced transfer case.

I’m actually trying to decide what manual transmission to use in my ‘74. I don’t really like the NP435 for everyday/ cruising. I like a more hot rodded approach, and today I’ve found than an A-body A833 is not the answer. lol. Given the fact that I need to move my transfer case back, I may put a non OD B-body A33 in it.

Nice truck. A 4x4 727 is basically a direct swap. Same length and same crossmember mounts. The auto brake pedal is a direct swap for the manual brake pedal and clutch pedal, I did the opposite to my RamCharger… 727 to np435, and now TR4050!
View attachment 1716197987
How do you like that 4050? I think they now offer a two wheel drive unit which would work perfectly in front of my divorced transfer case. I don’t know what bellhousing they use for the TR4050 and a small block??

IMG_5876.jpeg

IMG_5863.jpeg

IMG_5862.jpeg

IMG_5878.jpeg

How do you like that 4050? I think they now offer a two wheel drive unit which would work perfectly in front of my divorced transfer case. I don’t know what bellhousing they use for the TR4050 and a small block??
The 4050 is great. My truck is still running 3.23 gears so it’s not perfect for those. But once I swap over to one ton axles I’ll probably go to a 4.11 or 4.56 which would make the transmission perfect IMO. The 4050 has the same pattern as an NV4500 so you could probably find a factory bell out there somewhere. Because I have a big block I had to get the Lakewood scatter shield bell that’s worth its weight in gold, and I had to swap the input shaft on the transmission for the longer unit.

today I’ve found than an A-body A833 is not the answer
If I could, I think I'd put one in my truck, I don't see why it couldn't pull a car trailer with it.
But what do I know.
What I think I know is the NP435 will pull anything, but I don't need this truck to pull ye 'ol barn down on the back 40.

If I could, I think I'd put one in my truck, I don't see why it couldn't pull a car trailer with it.
But what do I know.
What I think I know is the NP435 will pull anything, but I don't need this truck to pull ye 'ol barn down on the back 40.
If I recall, that granny gear is/or can be, like a 10/1 ratio, going into the T-case! so yeah that would be near 4 times as low as the 2.66 standard A833
If my '84 was set up for a manual trans, I might put one of my A833s in there.
Did you buy that parts truck?

Yeah, and reverse is the same exact ratio, can just let the clutch out and it's like an automatic that drives itself extremely slow.
Nice for backing into the driveway though.

Waiting to hear back on a few more questions on the parts truck.
Sometimes it seems people list stuff and fall off the face of the planet.

-
Back