NSS question

-

Kenflo

Reaction score
Ok I have a question about the neutral safety switch. I use a B&M shifter and I have hooked up my NSS to the shifter as well as the back up light circuit with the provided contents in the shifter kit. Can I plug the NSS connection on the tranny with a brass plug or brass nipple and cap? Will it interfere with the rooster comb inside the tranny if I do this?
I just don't want to buy a new NSS they are prone to leaking especially with the header collectors near by.

image.jpeg

Pipe threads are tapered. To screw a pipe fitting in there too far could crack the trans. If the plugs threads will screw in there and stop a leak before cracking the case, no worries.

Just leave the old NSS switch in without connecting it. It has that seal on it to prevent leaks unlike a pipe plug.

What I have done is to gut the old switch,fill it with JB weld,use sealer on the thread.Made your own plug and no more leak.

After a closer look is seems that the NSS has a bolt thread and not a tapered thread like the brass plug. I like the JB weld idea! Also might try a threaded rod with an o ring, washer and nut?

Having the same problem, that I am working on as I speak. Just in taking a break. I am going to try coating the threads on the NSS with a healthy dose of RTV gasket maker. I will then add a healthy dose of it to the exterior of the plug where it enters the tranny.
I have tried what seems like 20 different ways to solve this. I have gone thru many NSSs. I actually fixed the leak a couple days ago, but needed to back the NSS out a turn to make the switch work and then it started leaking

I know why the NSS leaks. Seems no matter what you seal the threads with when you screw it into the tranny, it leaks. RIGHT?

Well, that is not the problem I have been having the same problem with numerous switches I have tried. The transmission fluid is seeping thru the center of the switch. Pull the connector and look at it. I always thought that the fluid leaked from the throttle shift on top of the tranny and ran down thru the NSS to make it look like the leak was coming thru there.

I have now coated the NSS around the black connector with RTV. I just went out there and find that the NSS is no longer leaking, but there is some small seepage I think I can see. So I have added more RTV, this time with a small acid brush. I will come back in a few hours and test it again.
So please do not plug your tranny until you try this. Cost almost nothing Refer to picture
Ed

NSS.jpg

Mine was leaking there as well. It also had a hairline crack between the electrodes that was seeping a lot of fluid. It is a temp fix to put all this rtv sealant on. I did find an actual plug on ATI Racing Transmissions website. They call it a Neutral Switch Eliminator Plug. I have a new NSS that I just picked up that I'll try first but if it leaks again I'm going for the plug from ATI.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Just made my own plug! Took the guts out, welded on some 1/8" plate, just need a coat of paint and its back in the transmission. Cost? A bit of time in the garage.
Check out the pics.

My latest fix, only slowed it down. I actually need to remove the NSS to get this working properly.

I tried putting the RTV around the connector and "glued" it to the NSS, thinking that it would trap the fluid in the cap.
It is a very slow leak now. Actually at seep not a leak.

As soon as I can build a circuit that will replace the NSS's duties, I will plug it also.
Been kicking me in the gut for 3 years. enough is enough

Last edited:
After much trial and error I have finally figured out an electrical circuit to eliminate the NSS. I just ordered the parts this am, coming from China so it will take a while.

I plan to put it inside the steering column for looks. I will be using this switches http://tinyurl.com/zyhvk9r and some tiny magnetics. As the shifter column moves it will set/reset the circuits. This is my third type of switch I have ordered and I tried a couple other configurations with parts I have already. This will work and I will show some pix when I get it in

-
Back