Numbers Matching

-

Boomer

Reaction score
I have a 1967 Charger with a 383 engine. Please advise exactly where I can see on the engine that it is numbers matching with the car. Photos would be most appreciated if available.

1967 can't be "numbers matching" as the VIN was not stamped on the engine until 1968.

It can be date code correct, though.

Better sources than me can explain that, though.

Also, 1967 G code 383 2 barrel will have single exhaust, and H code 4 barrel with have dual exhaust from the factory.

If you have a fender tag you can find the scheduled production date for the car. The engine will be stamped with the actual build date of the engine on the pad in front of the right head under the distributor. IF the engine build date is prior to the SPD you likely have the original engine, but it can even be after the SPD if the car build was delayed for some reason. So, you can never be absolutely certain, but you can be close.

The bad thing about pre-1968 Moaprs- they can't be verified as "matching numbers".

The good thing about pre-1968 Mopars- they can't be verified as "matching numbers".

If you have a later cast engine or block that someone swapped in, finding a "date code correct" block is MUCH easier than trying to find a one of one stamped "matching numbers" block, or even a warranty block.

Never cared about matching numbers. Just not something that was important to me.
I do cars for fun and enjoyment, not re-sale. That said, my 1968 Hemi RR WAS numbers matching, because I ordered it, and bought it new. lol ... It was my first NEW car, with my father's help. I was 18 years old.

It can be date code correct, though.

Better sources than me can explain that, though.
If it's the original engine, or at least the right year engine, won't it be stamped 383 C or C 383 on the pad under the distributor? I'm not well versed on big blocks, but if I remember right, they were. C is 67, D is 68, E is 69, F is 70, etc.

-
Back