Numbers on engine dont match ?????

-

RUSHY

Reaction score
Hi there Guys,

Heres a question all the way from New Zealand.
I have a 360 (I think) - has casting # 4006830 360 10 on drivers side of block. see pic DSC_0133
Then under drivers side head it has 318 then a sequence of smaller numbers 284446034 which all seem misaligned. see pic DSC_132
None of this seems to make sense when decoding the numbers.
Do the numbers in the pic of under the head seem tampered with?

Thanks

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

Th casted number for the engine block is 4006830 and it's a 360 and using engine mold # 1 I think according to the picture. The date for the casting should be on the right front side of the block where the engine mounts is located.

the pictures seem to be of different engines as one is orange and the other looks red?
the stamped numbers are often not in a straight line but i have never seen a 318 stamp on a 360 block

Casting no is 360, who cares what the other number is. Measure the bore if you really want to be certain.

I seriously doubt someone would go through the effort to change a number on one of the billions of 360 small blocks pushed out of the factory

the pictures seem to be of different engines as one is orange and the other looks red?
the stamped numbers are often not in a straight line but i have never seen a 318 stamp on a 360 block

Definatly the same motor. It is in my Dart. One photo taken under the car in the dark. Other photo taken during the day.

I know from the casting # it is a 360 but cant figure out what the other # is. Look at the sticky on eng # on this site this # should have a letter, displacement, another letter, 8 numbers. ??????

Cheers

Looks like 2 different engines to me as well.

Camera settings can cause that color shift.

-
Back