Numerous questions!!!

-

Bigmacdak

I'll take the Duster.....
Reaction score
Guys, got a few questions for ya...

QUESTION 1: How do I get the chrome trim off of the windshield?
trim2006.jpg

QUESTION 2: What is the best way to remove the "stuff" from the roof gutter?
trim2007.jpg

QUESTION 3: I want to replace my entire drivers side inner fender (under the hood). Can I drill out these support spot welds & just cut out the rest of what needs replaced? Or will that cause problems with the shock tower, support...ect...ect. I have this huge fear of my car breaking into two pieces:shock:
trim2005.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys, got alot of stuff done on the duster here lately & im stoked!!

The threim pops off, Its held by clips underneath. They make tool for removing it but you can usually pull it off without it. Just becarefull not to twist it. You will need new clips most likely.

The stuff in the drip rail is just a seem sealer, You can scrape it out if you like may be hit it with a heat gun to loosen it.

For the inner fender, yes, you need to drill the spot welds tp remove the panel. You can either buy spot weld citter or use a drill bit about the size of the spot weld. If you use a drill bit dont drill all the way through. You just want to drill as much of the spot weld as you can then use a air hammer between the panels to brake the rest of the weld.

The trim will have to be removed using a trim removal tool,sold at most paint and body supply stores,be very careful,if you can... look at some clips and how they are made it will explain how the tool works,the seam sealer you can sharpen up an old screwdriver and use a small hammer and then a wire wheel to get it out,I havent tryed the heat gun so if you do that be careful around the glass.the trim removal tool isn't very expensive 10$ or so. good luck,take your time,and on the inner fenderwell...does it need the whole thing or can you splice in where the bad part is?anyway's good luck with your project

The trim will have to be removed using a trim removal tool,sold at most paint and body supply stores,be very careful,if you can... look at some clips and how they are made it will explain how the tool works,the seam sealer you can sharpen up an old screwdriver and use a small hammer and then a wire wheel to get it out,I havent tryed the heat gun so if you do that be careful around the glass.the trim removal tool isn't very expensive 10$ or so. good luck,take your time,and on the inner fenderwell...does it need the whole thing or can you splice in where the bad part is?anyway's good luck with your project

It just needs a splice. For some reason the drivers side is all beat up on top. Looks like someone got PO'ed back in the day & beat the crap out of it with a hammer, then calmed down & broke out the bondo to cover up the dings...lol!! Im just going to cut out the top section around the shock tower more/less.

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it!! :cheers:

take the trim off the windows. The tool kinda looks an arrow. DO NOT TWIST THIS TOOL WHEN REMOVING THE TRIM!!! You can break the windshield quicker than you can blink. Use it in the flat position.

I replaced both my inner fenders on my 383 GTS.I dont think you can do this wiyh the engine in.The best way to do it is to scuff were you think there may be a spot weld.When you scuff it with sand paper the weld will show up much better.Then take a center punch and punch it in the middle of the weld.Then drill out with your spot weld remover bit.You do not need to drill to deep.By using a center punch and drilling slow to medium you will not go to deep and you will break less cutters.Some times I could drill 20 welds before I would break a cutter.I then would change the cutter and then break two cutters on five welds at times.Also some of the spot welds may have a burr.Make sure and grind off the burr before you drill.This will help save cutters also.On your shock area there are welds down low also.Your frame will not bend or break when you remove a inner fender.Unless it is swiss cheese.Just take your time and be patient.If you get frustrated walk away for a while.I screwed my new inner fenders in with 3 or 4 screws first.Make sure evrything lines up.Then if every thing looks good start welding.It is not really hard just takes patients.
Jim

In your case if your going to splice it.This would be easier if you do not want to pull the engine.Just remember there are welds down low if you go that far.
Jim

Ok, thanks for the info! Im just going to be replacing the top portion of the fender well, so I think the only welds I will have to worry about are the shock tower welds.

Thanks for the info guys!

-
Back