Nut and Bolt Your Race Car?

-

Frank Mopar

Reaction score
If not, Grab a handful of wrenches and get after it. You might be surprised what you find loose. This should be done every week and it doesn't take long.

Nothing worse then to have stuff fall of your race car while heading down the strip because you know it will show up on YouTube.

Those nuts and bolts are like children, I'm about to start naming them ! My car spends way more time on jack stands then on the strip. My boss asked if I let someone take a pass on the track how much would I charge? I said with a 20k cash in my hand $400 per pass. A thow I must say I was a little offended, to me it seemed close to the same category as asking how much to hump my wife. FYI- he drives a - any guesses ?

Good advise. Yeah I wouldn't let anyone drive my cars, except for my wife, my father, and maybe my brothers but besides that nope. Too many long hours and I'm still not done yet, and the blood, sweat going into our cars

fklskv,You are correct,Years ago I sold a 63 Belvedere drag car that sat for 4 years.Told the new owners before you take it out go from front bumper to rear and check every part, every fastener.The race season came,,,sure enough Got a call "Hey,this thing is making noise,we are at the track."Sure enough the converter bolts were loose(this was before lock tite use was the norm ) Got there and fixed it for them.His son said "Well he did tell us to go over the car before using it,told ya Dad".

Wait - so for $20,400 someone can hump your wife?? That seems low to me. And I haven't even seen her...lol (jk)

Worst deal for me was leaving the oil fill cap on the intake valley... smoked like a pig when it all came out, got everything oiled under the hood, including the hood, and was right where I left it when I stopped to look under the hood...

And this just goes to prove there are some things money just can't buy! :elmer::realcrazy:
Wait - so for $20,400 someone can hump your wife?? That seems low to me. And I haven't even seen her...lol (jk)

Worst deal for me was leaving the oil fill cap on the intake valley... smoked like a pig when it all came out, got everything oiled under the hood, including the hood, and was right where I left it when I stopped to look under the hood...

When I was racing motorcycles, standard operating procedure was to wax the bike before the first round. By doing that you got to look at and touch everything on the bike. More than one first round loss was avoided by that routine. Plus we looked really spiffy.

Ted

Very good advice, speaking from experience. My race car partner & I went to a NHRA national event in Dallas a few years back. I had been working out of town the two weeks before the race. He was supposed to go over our stock eliminator Dakota before I got back just in time to throw my bags in the trailer to head for Dallas. We get to the track, unloaded, go through tech, get everything set up for test & tune that evening. I asked, "did you go over the entire truck, bumper to bumper, door to door"? His reply was sure, I checked everything. First pass for T&T, I notice him outside the truck at the first turn out with the hood up & flapping his new race jacket at the engine compartment. I jump on our pit scooter with a fire extinguisher & race down there, by the time I got there the fire was out. But, the damage was done, wiring harnesses are toast, vacuum lines melted, hood blackened, & the cowl vent cover melted. I asked him what happened & he said as he went through the traps, gas started spraying everywhere & it went up in flames. The one thing he didn't check was the AN fittings on the fuel injection rails. We laugh about it now, but it really wasn't funny then because I spent most of that night & into the wee hours of the morning replacing wiring & vacuum hoses so we could run first round the next morning.

Under the jalopey practicing what I preach getting ready for the track. Something's missing here
image.jpeg

I ended up needing to do a premature clutch replacement among other repairs to my '93 Jeep Cherokee because the engine-to-trans bolts came loose, 3 of the 4 that held the whole thing together literally fell out. Needless to say when I put it back together I used Loc-Tite and torqued them to spec, and then some.

I think it was from all those times I revved it up and dumped the clutch in 4WD trying to maneuver out of snow banks :eek:

After racing for several seasons I pulled my 8 3/4 pig to try a different gear ratio. Good thing too as I found 5 ring gear bolts snapped off and in the bottom of the housing.Why they didn't get caught up in the pinion and send me and the car off the track I'll never know....

-
Back