Nylon distributor pinion for Slant Six

-

1966DartConvertible

Reaction score
Took the distributor out today to correct some timing issues. Apparently the timing runs off if I rev it hard a few times from idle. Upon inspection I found that the nylon pinion on my Prestolite slant six dostributor has seen better days. Even though that might not be the culprit, I better change it. If I were to buy new, are they all standard sizse? Do they have a steel ones like those used in modern engines?

Thanks

Syed

Took the distributor out today to correct some timing issues. Apparently the timing runs off if I rev it hard a few times from idle. Upon inspection I found that the nylon pinion on my Prestolite slant six dostributor has seen better days. Even though that might not be the culprit, I better change it. If I were to buy new, are they all standard sizse? Do they have a steel ones like those used in modern engines?

Thanks

Syed
From what i've heard, your better off going with the hardened one that Dutra sells. I'm sure SSD will chime in on this?

From what i've heard, your better off goin with the hardened one that Dutra sells. I'm sure SSD will chime in on this?

As far as I know, they were the same size for all years of the slant six engine, and all were nylon. You can still get them fairly cheap on ebay (<$10), and shipping to Malaysia shouldn't be too bad. Try rockauto.com too. They used to sell them in bubble packs in the "Help" line at auto parts. I would rather use the nylon gear since less likely to wear out the camshaft, which is hard to get for a slant.

-
Back