O.D. vs. non-O.D.

-

camd64

Remember Landy
Reaction score
I am curious about everyones opinion on o.d. vs. non o.d. I know the obvious benefits like better mpg, lower engine speeds so less engine wear, etc. but how do most of you view driving with the additional rpms on say a 727 or 904. I know in my car when I'm on the freeway it sits around 2,800 to 3,000 rpms with the 904 and in my truck I'm only about 2,200 rpms with its 4L60E. Even say towing in the truck I don't use o.d. since it is said to be very bad on the trans. but...... Ever since I had my first vehicle with overdrive I always have that thought in the back of my head that I HAD TO HAVE IT.

The main reason I ask is because probably by june I will be moving to Texas. With the more lax smog I am thinking of getting a Ramcharger or Powerwagon but wanting something more bullet-proof am leaning toward the older ones with a 727. Thoughts on freeway driving, towing, etc.?

I am curious about everyones opinion on o.d. vs. non o.d. I know the obvious benefits like better mpg, lower engine speeds so less engine wear, etc. but how do most of you view driving with the additional rpms on say a 727 or 904. I know in my car when I'm on the freeway it sits around 2,800 to 3,000 rpms with the 904 and in my truck I'm only about 2,200 rpms with its 4L60E. Even say towing in the truck I don't use o.d. since it is said to be very bad on the trans. but...... Ever since I had my first vehicle with overdrive I always have that thought in the back of my head that I HAD TO HAVE IT.

The main reason I ask is because probably by june I will be moving to Texas. With the more lax smog I am thinking of getting a Ramcharger or Powerwagon but wanting something more bullet-proof am leaning toward the older ones with a 727. Thoughts on freeway driving, towing, etc.?

I really wish my 74 Dart had an overdrive unit. My other ride is an 88 Lincoln Mark VII with the 5.0HO that gets me about 20MPG on the highway with decent performance. I would LOVE to feel a mild 360 behind a gear vendors or 518 trans.

I would love to have a gear vendors setup too, just could deal without the price tag. I like the peace of mind knowing your not working the motor as hard.

I would love to have something like a ramcharger with an overdrive but I keep hearing of all kinds of problems with these units. anyone know the first years they started using them?

the od box is great for a driver. top gear is really a blessing. what sux is the shifting under power from 1st to 2nd there is a huge rpm drop. so if you like burning the tires in 2nd like i did you will be dissapointed. though after getting my car impounded and paying a grand to get it back i learned to live with the adjustment in power. your engine falls right out of the power band from the 1 2 shift. 1st is 3.09 and 2nd is 1.67 +or- 3rd is 1:1. i have an all cast iron OD box in my duster with 3.55's. i like it.

I have an A833OD with 3.55 gears behind a 360 and though not ideal for max acceleration the 1-2 jump is just not an issue. The car with this tranny runs a very traction limited (2.2 60') 13.7 at 102mph. On the other hand I get 21-22mpg on the hiway and turn about 2200 rpm at 70mph.

I would find a way to get an OD into any car I own.

The OD units are good transmissions, but the way they did the OD set up reduces the strength of the transmission vs a regular 833. It tends to put a larger load on the bearings while in OD, which is why the OD transmissions had larger bearings and a larger bearing retainer than the 833's. Its not a big deal at all for small blocks, and I've heard of several guys that run them behind 440's in drivers without issue. That and the wide gear spacing are the only "issues" I've heard of, basically they're better suited to drivers than racers, although occasional trips to the track shouldn't be an issue.

I still plan on running one behind my built up 340 in my Challenger, which should put out over 400 hp. And I've yet to hear of one blowing up, despite the reduced strength that everyone seems to talk about.

Here's a really awesome link that has a ton of info on the 833's, including the OD version, with an excellent description on the differences between them.

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

-
Back