O.d.

-
I absolutely respect AJ's math, but my real world driving with the 440 O/D setup is that it's not that big a deal, and that's with whatever factory 9 1/4 gear is in that truck.

The only issue that's close is that if it's not warmed up enough and you shift too quickly you can find yourself barely idling in 3rd at 45 MPH

so looks as the early a body gears are the best with a gv for a 340 duster or an early 340'd barracuda .

I can't say that, as much as I'd like to.
First the GV is a big investment.
Second,when you hang it off the back, it messes with the driveshaft angles and with my lowered car, I've never been able to get rid of that tiny bit of vibration.
Third;And the big one is this; It comes with a little computer, and a really ugly-for-a-car shifter switch. The computer's primary job seems to be to prevent you from engaging OD in reverse. Secondly, it likes to delay the shift until it thinks you have enough driveshaft speed to build enough oil pressure to engage with a minimum amount of slippage. So if you are running small gears, you will need some speed before it engages.
Ok for most guys this is a good thing. But if you are gonna split gears at full throttle, we can't be hanging around waiting for that slowpoke ECU! So I bypassed that baby. I mounted a push-on/push-off switch into my shiftball, and wired that shift solenoid direct. What I discovered was that unit shifts like lightning, wired this way.I kid you not, the tires never stop spinning at the shift. So this is good news right? Not so fast; remember the primary purpose? I discovered that the Solenoid can easily hold pressure during an entire traffic-light change, allowing you to move forward in any O/D gear you might have rolled in on.Unfortunately, this same feature works on the parking lot and if you forget to outshift and put it in reverse, you will almost immediately kill that badboy! It doesn't take but two feet, and it is smoked! And the GV people charge 1/2 the cost of new to repair it. It's a flat fee, and non-negotiable.So you better figure out a way to prevent that from happening.And when operated directly like this and the clutch is locked up, it will rip 340 disc springcarriers up and spit out springs real quick.I was running a CFII for a while, which takes the abuse, but man that thing is harsh.
Fourth. It requires a special expensive oil, and it doesn't remain leakfree forever.And if you operate it at too low an oil level, you will be rebuilding it again!
Fifth;If you want to transfer it to another different type transmission, you will have to send your current adapter back, and wait for the new one to arrive, cuz they absolutely will not sell you an adapter, without receiving back an adapter.
If I had it to do over, Idunno. I think I might spend a little more and get a 5 speed. :(
I know if the McLeod was available today, I would probably buy that, instead.Probably, maybe...

Oh Yea,If mcleod had on I'd be all over it. I even considered trying to adapt the GM version they have available. Word is a mopar version will be out eventually??? I'm glad to hear that about gearvendors. I don't need those headaches. Adapt a 2004R Or cut up my floor for a Tremac,or mopar OD. If I do a bigblock with 2:76 rear gears,good mpg,but get smoked by an LS1 camaro cause can't get outta the hole. Thats why I'm here. More ideas,Learn,etc.

Oh Yea,If mcleod had on I'd be all over it. I even considered trying to adapt the GM version they have available. Word is a mopar version will be out eventually???

Yeah - the Mopar version is due out summer of 2015... ;-)

(Maybe if we all hit their website and ask "When's it coming?!??", they'll decide there's enough demand to get it out?)

Dunno, Its soon to be summer of 2016. Its bad enough they mcleod folks say not for racing,only crusing and 500hp... But still to not deliver???

You could spend the big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and get in line for a Passon 5 speed. I don't know how many he has produced, or what the wait time is.

From what I have seen they are nice pieces. And you can beat the crap out of them.

GV will sell you an adapter, but they want another adapter as a "core", then only give you $200 core credit on the $600 adapter.

Anyone tried a J type like is on some volvo's and jags?

They're stand alone units, IIRC and much shorter.

We use Gear Vendors and have two of them. One 4-speed and one 727 TF. Never heard of breaking
one. Pictured with a Passon aluminum case for the 4-speed. Stick car runs a 4.30 gear and 30" tires.
Automatic car still under construction.

Interested in getting some feedback on Passon's new 5-speed too.

A833 with Gear Vendor O.D.
MillerHouse082.jpg

MillerHouse077.jpg

GV ECU mounted above left kick panel area.
DennysShop04-23-11022.jpg

GV control panel mounted under front of driver's seat.
DennysShop04-23-11018.jpg

Actual GV shifting wired to toggle switch on side of seat adjuster.
DennysShop04-23-11012.jpg

New Passon 5-speed trans
Passon%20A855%205-speed%20640_zpsuakjwhjd.jpg

Nice setups with the gearvendors stuff. I was unaware that they had computers to run them though. I think the gearvendors setup is much cheaper than the 5 speed and more available. Just stuff I've read. Silver sport just did me a quote for 6700.00. Thats like 2k more than a year ago.It ain't gone up that much. Guess I'm gonna have to start creating some stuff.

-
Back