O' Reallys POS

-
Thanks to all for the wisdom.
After having some calming liquid, I will remove and return the part.
Talked to them late yesterday and they will not replace just the MC has it was ordered as a complete unit. I must return complete unit...
Good thing calmer heads can prevail.. at least some of the time.

Once again, this should have been reported too. That should have been replaced no questions asked. That's O'Reilly's policy and they are breaking it when they tell you no.

I buy lots of parts at O Reillys. Springfiled, Mo is their home. I bought a starter relay a nd didn't use it for months. since i'm piddling with redoing 5-6 cars, this happens. when finally put it on a car, I found it was BAD. now the manager would not replace it as the invoice didn't show up where I had bought it in last few months. ( he knows I buy parts off Rock). kinda of pissed me off. I didn't buy a thing from them for couple months. and he knew why I hadn't been in.
so last weekend I buy brake parts for 2 cars fro, them. we talk about how new parts can be so defective. I go to put on one of the hardware kits, JUST to find it missing some pieces. never opened before. I said, screw it, and looked in bucket of junk till I found what I needed. was not worth the $6 in fuel, phone calls, and BS to get it replaced> LOL
I know those guys at the parts store earn their pay. lets face it, they are busy all day long, even in the small town stores!! for the most part they give good service and seem ot care. so I try not ot get bent out of shape over small things! LOL

I went to town this am for few things. I need the brake, turn light bulbs. O reilly has them in the 2 bulk deal for $4.79. I ask the counter guy about a box, I need bulbs for all the projects. box of 12 for $20. used to be $5.00 for a box. DUH!???

I go over to the little pidly private auto parts store, box of 10 was $7.00... different brand.. that must be it! ?? LOL

First, I would be thrilled to just get a new booster for $116. Do you know how hard they are to find? Check the prices at the Booster Dewey website. MC's are easy. Unless enamored with the rusty cast-iron, leak-prone factory MC, why not change to a modern aluminum MC w/ reservoir that doesn't leak, using a 2-4 bolt adapter plate (#30 ebay)? Many have.

But, before that have someone apply the brakes and release while you watch the reservoir with the top off. If you get a geiser of fluid spraying up, that indicates air in the system you need to bleed, and is often why the reservoirs leak. But, if it leaks under spraying fluid, it will also let atmospheric moisture into the reservoir, which will soon rust your brake internals, unless you use silicone fluid. Also, clean all drips off the firewall since glycol is a great paint remover (another reason for silicone).

i bought same setup for 73 dart ,booster master cylinder combo,came from cardone direct ordered from rock auto ,ate the core charge shipping was 5.00 less than core, master leaked at cap day 1, lowered fluid level ,after 5 months of gasket change and wire bending, bought another master cylinder from advance, this one was perfect,clean no rust at cap and not a drop at full mark ,better to get it local ,easier for core and warranty , like RRR said ,they should have found it, sometimes hit or miss with counter guys , i wait for the good ones

I work in a shop. We run into bad parts all the time. When you buy a cheap part, you get a cheap part. It's that simple. O'Reilly, Advance, Autozone ... they all are there because they have cheap prices and cater to price conscious buyers. They average do it yourselfer wants cheap parts. Shops like us use NAPA, Carquest, and dealers, because we have to warranty our work and prefer quality over price. I personally buy quality parts virtually every time, just because I don't want to do things twice. You get what you pay for. That Carquest master cylinder for $100 and that Chinese master cylinder at O'Reilly for $50 are not the same part or quality.

Crap, I can't edit in new pics. New post coming up.

Attachments

• brake booster 1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Brake booster.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 121
If the O'Rielly counter man can't find a part, he has a resource for help. My neighbor works at the corporate office. His job is support for them. His job is to find the parts they can't. Just a phone call away. They have a full department, any time they have a store open, there to help. My advice on electrical parts, regardless of where you buy them, have them tested before you leave. Bought an alternator for a girlfriends car once. They tested 4 before they found one that worked.

-
Back