O500 transmission mods

-

ike61

Reaction score
Putting an o500 Trans in my dart swinger. Any tips and advice on what mods I should make to the Trans when rebuilding it? It's out of a 1993 Dakota. It will be behind a 300 horse 360. Thanks

I assume you mean an A500?

42Rh....if it was behind a V6....check the front drum cause some of them only had 3 disc in them...

Like Tony said check the front drum. If the front drum only holds 3 discs you can use 4 thin discs (available at A&A racing, Cope racing, etc) but you may also have to have the pressure plate machined down some to get the required clearance. I had to have .035 taken off mine. I don't know how wide the front band is but if it's narrower than 1-5/8" they sell the wider 1-5/8" front band that provides more holding power and a better 1-2 shift. Swap the front band apply lever to a 5.0 ratio. Shoot for .035-.040" clearance in the rear clutch and .055-.065" in the front clutch. Clearance is adjustable with different thickness snap rings called "selective snap rings". Replace all bushings and thrust washers and sprague rollers and springs and set the total end play to as close to .020" as you can get it. Install a good aftermarket rear servo. Install a good shift improver kit such as the Trans-go kit made for the A500 (sorry, don't know the part # for it) and your set.

-
Back