OCG is out of 225 cam blanks - how about 170?

What Should I Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

csheehy

^Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Oregon Cams is out of 225 blanks - suggested a 170 core to grind out my #346 camshaft.

I guess I'm okay with that - anyone disagree?

BTW, if you've got a confirmation on your cam, your safe - this only impacts new cam orders, you know... like mine :/

I never knew they were different. They are not as far as the CORE. The specs are probably different.

Rob, that was my understanding too.

All I can say is that I was told all 225 cores are spoken for, and would I be agreeable to a 170 core...

When I called, Ken was on the phone, I spoke with someone else (didn't write his name down). I was told the 346 profile will be the same on a 225 or 170. And that the 170 cam will be a tad heavier - although I'm not sure if/how that matters other than to conclude better endurance (perhaps).

Seems like a potato/potahto thing to me, but I've been wrong before - so I'm throwing it up here. Just trying to educate myself...

Are they buying cam cores? I got one.
Unless you are local enough to drop it off shipping will be more than what you would get for the cam as a core.and yeah, you look at rock auto they will show you the same melling cam (stock replacement) for either engine

My cam looked very well worn, so I decided to go new. Besides, it's a great conversation piece with my son. Nothing better than holding something in your hands to explain it. Sometimes that experience, is worth the added expense(to me) :)

My cam looked very well worn, so I decided to go new. Besides, it's a great conversation piece with my son. Nothing better than holding something in your hands to explain it. Sometimes that experience, is worth the added expense(to me) :)
I just got mine back from them, they had to weld up the fuel pump eccentric and grind it back down. Cost$20 for welding and $20 for grinding on top of the price of regrinding the rest of the cam.
That wasn't what pissed me off. It cost me $42 to ship the damn thing there and $45 to get it back to me. Though it came back with a set of SI oversized valves and a new set of lifters, $87 for freight is damn downright ridiculous. Nothing on oregon cams there, that's on USPS (there) and UPS (back)
Getting it there cost me double what I expected and took 2x as long as the guy at the post office window said it would.

Last edited:
This some bullsh!t right there. Shipping is getting insane may investigate FedEx. I used my account to ship something from a supplier to me (asked to send it with my account number, I set up the pickup and everything and it was half what their shipping was. Wonder if OCG would ship it back using my FedEx account? You can get it there ups simple rate now much cheaper than 45 bucks in a tube. Is cam grinding a dead industry? I'm sure there are some in So.Cal where I could just drop it off...? who's the camshaft employee here in North Long Beach? Do they regain?

"New" from whom?

This some bullsh!t right there. Shipping is getting insane may investigate FedEx. I used my account to ship something from a supplier to me (asked to send it with my account number, I set up the pickup and everything and it was half what their shipping was. Wonder if OCG would ship it back using my FedEx account? You can get it there ups simple rate now much cheaper than 45 bucks in a tube. Is cam grinding a dead industry? I'm sure there are some in So.Cal where I could just drop it off...? who's the camshaft employee here in North Long Beach? Do they regain?

Mine was over 50 to ship there, but about 30 to ship back. It's pretty stupid.

-
Back